Voyagers

The broadcasting devices of Octagon Veranda turned on automatically all of a sudden. Every worker could see the Chancellor Jupiter's face on the screen, then they heard his voice.

"This is Jupiter Terko, the Chancellor of the Astro Sector. The Octagon Council has an important message for all scientists and soldiers." All eyes were on the screen, brimming with curiosity.

"Attention! The O-1129 spacecraft, containing vital data and samples, was lost due to a malfunction in Bermuda. This is a critical event that requires our immediate attention. We must take action and work together to recover what was lost and prevent such incidents from happening again. Let us join hands in our quest to overcome this challenge and emerge victorious. Join us on an incredible expedition to Bermuda! We need volunteers from all sectors, except the nanotechnology sector and environmental science-biology sector to explore and uncover the mysteries of this fascinating destination. Don't miss out on this exciting opportunity to be part of something truly extraordinary. Sign up now and be part of an adventure that will owe you glory! If you're a young adult between the ages of 18 and 25, this opportunity is perfect for you!" All the screens turned off automatically leaving the crowds in whispers.

"Do you think anyone will volunteer? It's almost a suicide mission!" whispered the girls of the Hydrology sector. But there were volunteers nonetheless, driven by their bravery or perhaps the foolish belief that glory could buy them another life. A girl dressed in a blue t-shirt and black jeans, donning the coat of the Hydrology sector, walked confidently towards the Chancellor's office. Her green eyes gleamed with an intense emotion, suggesting either an overwhelming excitement or an intense desire for revenge. The fire in her eyes was unmistakable, leaving little doubt that she was driven by a powerful motivation. She put her finger in the scanner and got the door open. But she was surprised to see someone familiar other than Madam Penny in the chancellor's seat.

"Mom, what are you doing here? This is not your office," she said in a tone mixed up with anger and wonder. Elsa Blake, who was sitting on the chancellor's seat, replied calmly.

"Olivia, Are you here to volunteer? I thought you might take this as a chance to hurt me. Penny asked me to be here to stop you from volunteering."

Olivia wasn't discouraged or surprised by her answer, it looked like she was ready for this. She handled the conversation like it had already happened in her head.

"Which part about the message are you going to use to stop me? I'm 21 and have a degree in hydrology and farming," she asked in disagreement.

"I'm your mother and you are not going for that suicide mission. That's the final decision," Elsa said in a firm tone as she stood up from her seat. 

"My mother!" Olivia smirked.

"Then do you remember it's my birthday today? "She asked. Elsa's mouth fell open and then her hand knocked her forehead in surprise. She looked at her daughter's eyes with an apologizing face.

"Oh sweetheart, I'm sorry, I was so busy with that mission as I.." Olivia didn't give her mother a chance to apologize, indicating a strained bond between them.

"Oh no wonder at all, it's your manner to forget my birthday every year, you are so busy with your first responsibility Octagon Veranda, forgetting that I'm your second responsibility" Olivia said in a poetic way making it more humiliating. Elsa was hurt by Olivia's rough attitude toward her.

"I did not mean to hurt you dearly, but I I" Elsa struggled to find suitable words to express her feelings. Suddenly the door of the office was opened and a well-grown boy with a handsome look entered the room. His hazel eyes were on Olivia as he entered the room. Olivia turned back and recognized him.

"Carl," she whispered, her eyespleading with him to stay. The boy was taken aback by the suddenness of theargument but hesitated to leave.

 "Maybe I should come later," hesaid, unsure of what to do. 

"No, no, Carl, wait!" Elsa exclaimed, desperation creeping into her voice. "Please, can you explain to Olivia just how risky this expedition could be? You're the only one she trusts."

With a heavy sigh, Carl turned back to face them. He knew the dangers that lay ahead, and he also knew that Olivia needed to hear it from someone she trusted. "Okay," he said, "I'll talk to her." His words seemed to calm the woman's nerves, and she smiled gratefully at him. "Thank you, Carl," she said, relief evident in her voice. "I knew we could count on you."

Could she count on him? Next, he said it all. He looked at Olivia and saw the expressions on her face.

"But ma'am I'm here to ask whether I can join the expedition team" Carl asked politely. Elsa stared at Carl for a moment stuck in wonder. Is he asking permission? seriously? Or is it another silly joke?

"You must be kidding!" Elsa said in astonishment. But Carl replied calmly.

"I just thought if we both can go for the expedition maybe we can take care of each other." Olivia looked at him with a complimentary look while Elsa did the opposite.

"Are you two in right mind? I'm not letting my only daughter and my future son-in-law risk their lives. You are the only family I've got left Olivia, Do you understand it? And I can't abandon you!" Elsa busted her feelings into words.

"You've been abandoning me since father died, why can't you do it one more time? Otherwise what about my birthday?" Olivia asked without caring about her mother's feelings. Elsa struggled to find the right words but finally opened her mouth. 

{To read the rest please make this 50 views!

I'll be posting every Friday a new chapter.}