That's why!

In the evening, Shi Ying found Baili standing under the white magnolia tree with a bowl of tea in his hand. There was an outside seating area near his hut where he could have gone, but Baili, as always, had a mind of his own.

Shi Ying reveled in the sight that offered to him. He looked beautiful under the magnolia tree. Baili had an innocence and purity about him that was very similar to the magnolia.

Deep in thought, he didn't seem to notice his presence until he spoke softly in his ear: "Hongyi."

He flinched and looked up at him. His eyes reflected so many different emotions and then a very tender smile unfurled on Baili's lips. Shi Ying felt as if a lotus was opening its petals and the core shone with light. "Hongyi...."

"Shi Ying"

It was there and so strong. The urgent need to touch Baili... to be close to him... very close.

The transformation into the Beast had happened without his doing. It had simply happened completely unexpectedly. With the help of Chong Ming, he had found out why it had happened. Inner turmoil and strong emotions sometimes caused a transformation. Chong Ming had shaken his head and blamed it on the fact that Shi Ying himself wanted to be a divine creature like Chong Ming.

But Shi Ying... was torn between his duty and his heart... had missed Baili Hongyi as soon as he had left him here.

Longingly, he leaned further towards Baili, feeling and tasting his breath on his lips. He wanted to have Baili with him every day, forever! But as a Grandpriest... he wasn't allowed to do that.

"Is that my jasmine tea?"

Nodding

"I specifically told you not to touch the top shelf. This... this is my mum's jasmine tea. The jasmine comes from the country where she and I were born."

Baili knew that Shi Ying had also lost his mother at a young age, just like Baili himself. He had not known that this tea was from her.

"I'm sorry. I don't know... I smelled it and wanted... so badly..." confused, Baili looked at the bowl of tea in his hand.

"I only drink this tea twice a year... on her birthday and mine."

"Shi Ying ... I'm sorry!"

He really was. He had never seen such sadness in Baili's eyes.

"Hongyi..." he gently made him look at him, "when did you lose her?"

"8"

"Do you have anything that reminds you of her?" Baili answered in the negative, narrowing his eyes.

Such a stubborn and cool thinker, his Baili, and yet he was a lot more sensitive than he showed on the outside.

"Hm... I think the appropriate punishment for disobeying me is..." he pulled Baili's face towards him again, "to drink my jasmine tea with me here every day. Without exception!" Shi Ying smiled gently as Baili nodded slowly.

"Good, now at least share the tea with me." He took Baili's tea bowl... "ah wait, you have to taste it first!"

Baili furrowed his eyebrows in annoyance, knowing full well that this was absolutely not necessary. Shi Ying grinned, he knew that too!

"It's your job!"

Still disgruntled, he snatched the tea bowl from Shi Ying's hand and sipped it.

"Not poisoned! You can..." Shi Ying grabbed Baili's wrist and brought the bowl to his mouth, drinking the last sip of tea from Baili's hand.