Part 6

I immediately started driving, pulling out of the parking spot quickly, not even caring about putting on music, and I looked over at Lexa. The aura around her was becoming more apparent by the second.

"Don't drive too fast, Annabelle," she said, "The last thing we need is to be stopped by a fucking cop. That can't happen."

"Okay, I'm sorry," I said to Lexa, slowing down the car.

Lexa glanced at her watch and said, "It's not even 11 PM. Recharging doesn't usually happen this early. It started to hit me at the club when I suddenly started to feel a chill."

"Do you know why it is happening to you early?" I asked Lexa, glancing over at her. She didn't look happy.

"I was extremely overstimulated at the club...in multiple ways. That might have something to do with it," Lexa sighed, "Fuck. I'm sorry."

"Stop apologizing," I said to her, "This was urgent."

The aura around Lexa was strong now, and my car was glowing blue.

I hope no one driving next to us on the highway notices.

"We're going to have to wait to get out of the car until this goes away," Lexa said, "It's too risky to walk on campus like this on a weekend night. Our classmates might be out."

"We can wait in the car as long as need be," I responded to Lexa.

That's exactly what we did when we got back to campus. The aura was starting to die down, but we still had to be on the safe side. I parked in the back of the student lot, making sure I wasn't next to any cars.

Lexa leaned against the back of the seat, eyes closed. I didn't say anything to her, but as I looked at her I couldn't help but think about how crazy this situation was.

There is still so much more for me to learn. I haven't even scratched the surface.

I know this must really take a toll on her at times.

I want to learn more. I truly do.

As the aura got smaller and smaller, Lexa opened her eyes.

"We can get out of the car," she said to me.

We approached campus together, and I expected Lexa to say "goodnight" to me, and want to be alone.

To my surprise, she said to me, "I'd like it if you came back to my room with me."

I nodded, "Of course I will."

Lexa and I walked to her dorm in silence, our hands lightly touching at times as we walked close to each other.

I noticed the relief on Lexa's face as she shut the door to her room. She sat down on her bed, and I sat down right next to her.

She looked down as she said, "We should still be at the club dancing together."

"Lexa, look at me," I said back firmly to her, and she did as I said.

I could see that her eyes were wet as she looked up at me.

"I don't want you to be upset," I said to her, "It's okay. It's not a big deal that we had to leave the club."

"To you, it isn't a big deal," Lexa said, "It's just...once again, me not being a human is fucking up everything."

"I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to diminish how you feel," I looked at Lexa, "I can't even begin to imagine what is going through your mind right now."

"Way too much," Lexa sighed, "But I can tell you what's at the top of it."

"What would that be?" I asked Lexa, looking at her. She met my gaze, looking into my eyes intensely.

"You. Listen, Annabelle, I know that I told you that I didn't want us to get to know each other, and I hate that I am being so fucking vulnerable right now, but I like you. A lot."

I was taken aback by Lexa's confession, but I couldn't help the smile that was forming on my lips.

"I like you too, Lexa. A lot as well."

Lexa smiled at me. It was the most genuine smile that I had ever seen from her, and it made my heart skip a beat.

As quickly as the smile came, it left her face.

"I'm just scared, Annabelle. What if incidents like this keep happening? I don't want who I am to get in the way of, well, us. There is still also so much more for you to learn about me. I don't want it to freak you out."

"Lexa, listen to me," I said, "I already know that you're not human, and I'm still here, aren't I? I don't think anything else could shock me even more."

Lexa nodded, "That's fair."

"Also," I continued, "I really like you. That means that I want to spend time with you no matter what. Even if we have to leave the club early, or anywhere early. I'd happily do it for you."

In response, Lexa leaned in and gave me a gentle kiss on the cheek. It was a romantic gesture, not just one that was sexually charged.

"Thank you," she said softly as she pulled away, "Just...thank you."

I'm really falling for this girl.

No matter what comes along with her.