A chance encounter: Family dinner

It's a full house at Wayne manor. Every one of the main Bat siblings plus any available extended family is present at tonights monthly Wayne family dinner.

While the food is, as always, delicious. The siblings can't help but notice most, if not all of the food is one specific siblings favorites.

Alfred is serving heeping plates with a skip in his step. The glances and small smiles Bruce keeps shooting over the table every few minutes. The way Dick is practically vibrating out of his seat with a mega watt smile blinding everyone- okay the last one is pretty normal.

But it's suspicous.

And ofcourse the apparent man of the hour himself; Jason.

Besides digging into his food with gusto, seems a bit subdued, shy almost, at least for Jason standards.

Like he's once again unsure of his standing with the family. But instead of lashing out, this time his approach is careful. Telegraphing his movements, keeping up light banter with them, carefully sidestepping any questions or anything that could veer into too deep or emotional terretory.

~

As the evening drags on, the mystery is slowly driving Tim up the wall. Something is up with Jason. He knows others have noticed it too. Alfred definitely knows what's up, he knows everything after all. Tim is pretty confident Dick is in the loop, but for some incomprehensible reason decided not to spread the gossip to the rest of the siblings.

And the strangest of all; Bruce knows. Jason never tells B anything, he's always the last to be looped in on the siblings goings on, if he even ever finds out.

After exhausting every databank he can subtley access at the dinner table without drawing Alfreds ire, Tim is drawing blanks. It's no significant date, no big case breakthrough. Nothing in either Red Hood or Jasons life that Tim has eyes on has changed. Especially nothing that would make Bruce smile like that.

Most worrying of all, Tim saw Jasons eyes turn green, brighter than they've ever had before. It was only for a blink and you miss it moment. After Steph said something that made everyone laugh, he swears Jasons eyes glowed. His older brother threw his head back and laughed heartily, and when he looked back his eyes were blue again, but Tim saw it.

Tim is already seven plans deep to trigger a similar reaction out of Jason again when finally, blessedly, as dessert is wrapping up Jason clears his throat to get everyones attention.

"So uh, I've got something to share. Mostly good news. But well, a bunch of it sounds worrying and weird but that's pretty normal for-"

"Spit it out Todd." Damain interrupts the rambling preamble.

"Are you going to tell us why your eyes glowed neon green." Tim blurts out, unable to stop himself after the curiousity nagged at him all evening.

"They whaaat?" "What level of conspiracy-" "Are you halucinating again Drake?" "Be honest, when have you last slept?"

Jason looks at him startled but sort of impressed. At least he doesn't look angry he's been caught. "Damn you saw that huh, good eye Timbers."

"He's not even denying it?" "What happened to Jay?" "Has he been bodysnatched?"

"Get on with it!" Damian snaps at Jason.

"Yes! Get on with it!" The siblings around the table echo the cry.

"Alright already ye peasants." Jason holds his hands out placatingly. "So good news is; The Pit madness is gone. Worrying bit point one; I'm technically not fully alive-"