Chapter 2: Freminet's Savior

Third Person POV: Alastor (5 years after the deal)

After leaving Lyney and Lynette with the strange demon woman, Alastor learned how to navigate Fontaine. Fontaine was the name of the country he was in, and the language was very similar to French. But whenever Alastor tried talking to them in their native language, he earned some strange stares. Something about him using an old dialect. And that wasn't the only frustrating adjustment. Aquabuses, which were buses on the water. He didn't know why they couldn't just be called boats, but whatever. They made him terribly seasick, so he tried to avoid using them whenever possible. 

Alastor had to be in his human form most of the time, only being in his true form around the twins or when he was alone. And of course he needed money, which were tiny little gold coins called Mora. And everything was ridiculously expensive. So, he had to get a job. Preferably, one with a radio. After all, he is the Radio Demon. Or was. He wasn't actually sure. If this was Second Hell, it was working 'cause Alastor hated it. He ended up working as a secretary's assistant to a Melusine named Sedene in the Palais Mermonia. Until he had enough money and got himself an office for his radio show. But even then, when he was bored enough, he would help Sedene.

The twins never called on Alastor much, perhaps due to the deal they had made or their fear of him. But when they did, it was mostly for him to eat people. He found out the demon woman was the Fourth Fatui Harbinger, The Knave or Arlecchino. And to his knowledge, the twins had no idea about the demon residing in her body. Oh well. It just meant Alastor had to be careful with his late night visits. Speaking of, the twins now lived in an orphanage called the house of the Hearth, which was full of other children. It reminded Alastor of the Stock Market Crash of 1929. So many orphans.

"Thanks for helping me out, Al." Sedene's voice brought Alastor out of his thoughts. Al, a nickname that most called him. Something about his name being too long for people's standards. The demon set the stack of papers in his hands onto her desk. "You're doing well, I hope?"

"Of course, my dear. I've never been better!" Alastor told her, his smile growing wider. "My radio show has been growing across this fair nation!" 

"Mhm. Al, Lady Furina's in her office today if you want to meet her. After all, you've been working here for five years and you've never met her." Sedene offered.

"No no no no, no thank you, my dear. I have no interest in someone like her." Alastor told the Melusine. "I have far more important things to worry about."

"I see. You're a weird one, Al." Sedene spoke, looking away from him like she was thinking. That comment irritated the demon a little, but he wouldn't show it on his face. "In a good way of course. Are you going to see the Wonder Duo?" The Melusine asked, referring to Lyney and Lynette. Wonder Duo was what Alastor had called them on the radio, insisting they were the best magicians in Fontaine. 

"Haha, of course! They are my dear friends, after all!" The Radio Demon laughed. He bid farewell to Sedene and began walking over to the House. It was much later than Alastor had anticipated, the sky was already adorned with stars. Seeing that no one was around, he reverted back to his demon form while trying to find the twins. After a while of walking, his ears flicked back upon hearing footsteps. 

"Alastor! Alastor!" Lyney's voice yelled out for the demon, making him stop. The magician caught up to the Overlord, out of breath.

"What is it, Lyney my dear?" Alastor wondered. "I was just looking for you."

"Cut the small talk, Alastor! My brother. Freminet, needs help! We were doing an underwater mission, and he's not breathing!" Lyney explained, talking so quickly that if Alastor wasn't used to hearing Charlie ramble, he would've thought the child in front of him had said a bunch of nonsense.