Chapter 4: Do we Have a Deal, Lyney?

Third Person POV: Lyney (5 years, 9 months after the deal)

Ever since Lynette received an Anemo Vision during their villa escape, Father had assigned her more dangerous missions. Missions only Vision-bearers could complete. Lyney wanted to accompany his sister desperately, but Arlecchino had refused saying he was not powerful enough. Lyney was sure he could go if he explained that he had access to demonic power, but Alastor was weary of his Father and he didn't want to anger either party. Without a Vision, what could he do? He craved power, so much so that his wish for it was no longer pure. He would take anything. 

"Hey Fremi." Lyney called out to his younger brother, who was busy reading in front of the radio he had purchased. Alastor's voice could be heard from the device as he approached. The demon was finishing his afternoon/early night radio show. "Do you know if Father is in her office?"

"I think she is. Why?" Freminet questioned, looking up at his older brother curiously.

"No reason, I just want to talk to her about a few things." 

"If you say so." And Freminet went back to his book like the conversation had never happened. Lyney knocked on his Father's office door and opened it. 

"Father, I need to speak with you." Lyney spoke quietly as she looked up from her paperwork. She leaned back in her chair and gestured for him to speak. "Now, I know we've talked about Lynette's mission before but I wanted to bring them up again."

"Continue." Arlecchino allowed her son to keep speaking. 

"I request a Delusion." Lyney said and he watched Arlecchino take in a sharp breath. "You can get access to them easily and they're the closest thing to a Vision. I don't know if I'll ever receive the gods' favor, so this is my best option. And then I can keep up with Lynette."

"Would Lynette want you to do this?" Father wondered, her eyes drilling into Lyney with a harsh glare. This kind of wrath was rarely directed at the children of the House. It vaguely reminded Lyney of Alastor. A kind of demonic wrath.

"No, but..." Lyney began to protest, but cut himself off. Lynette hadn't exactly approved of the deal they made with Alastor either. It wasn't like he could mention that to Father though. 

"This isn't the first time you've lacked power, Lyney. You found an answer once, you can find one again." The Knave stood up and left the room to leave Lyney with his thought. Last time his answer had been magic and Alastor, but this time...He wasn't quite sure.

He returned to his room with a bunch of dossiers from Lynette's previous missions. He was powerless, yes, but maybe he could do some behind the scenes work. Lynette was more powerful than him, she always has been, and sometimes she took unnecessary risks. Perhaps he could fix those mistakes. 

Third Person POV: Alastor

The Overlord has just finished his broadcast and decided to check on the twins. Lynette was busy ever since the gods blessed her, so he was focusing more on Lyney. The boy was cunning, but easy to manipulate. The perfect puppet. Seeing his room light still on, the demon teleported inside. The magician was hurriedly writing things down with books laid out in front of him.

"Salutations, my good man!" Alastor announced from behind him. "You're hard at work I see. Whatever is it for?"

"Oh, Al! You're done with your show?" Lyney asked, turning to face the deer demon.

"Yes, indeed! I was in the area, so I thought I'd pop by to check on you and your sister! Speaking of, where is the young belle?"

"She's...out on a mission right now. So, I'm trying to find ways to get her home safely."