Chapter 12

YEAR 2024
The blinding sunlight hits your eyes as you slowly gain consciousness. You don't know how long you've slept. It has always been like this. It's like waking up in someone else's body, without knowing their past.

"Good morning once again, Princess," the doctor greeted when you opened your eyes. This time, you didn't wake up clueless. You were somewhat aware that you lost some memories and you're back from the start again with this doctor who tries to make you remember everything that has happened. He sighed when he didn't get any responses from you. "After all that we did, you still forget me."

"What did we do?" you asked calmly but started to panic when he didn't answer since he was busy with the documents he was holding. "What exactly did we do?!"
"Shh... please be calm and lower down your voice." He said while still arranging the papers and putting them in specific folders.

"Why are you so calm about it?! What did we do?! I don't even know you, Bro!"
"Don't 'bro' me. We're not friends. We're back to strangers AGAIN. So, be a good girl and cooperate with me if you want to get out of this hell. Let's not make things hard for me, yeah?" He put all the file documents to the side and faced you. "Whatever that's running in your mind, to answer that, no, we did not do it. I don't want to lose my job. Hell, I don't even know why that's the first thing you thought of." He mumbled his last statement and went back to his work.

You sighed. "How many times do I have to get through this unbreakable cycle?"
The doctor looked at you with both of his knitted eyebrows. "Do you... remember something?"

Because of his reaction, you also felt confused and nervous. "Was there... something I shouldn't have remembered?" You squinted your eyes at him.

"Stop looking at me like that." He readied his clipboard on his arm and composed himself. "How long do you remember anything?"

"I don't really have a vivid memory of my past but I'm quite aware that I forgot something that has happened in my life."

"Memory lapses. Hm... I'm glad you made progress. How about my name? Do you know me?" He then covered his nameplate with his clipboard.

You saw his initials on his pen written, 'K.A.' When you looked at his blue hair, and fine narrow eyes with a deep periwinkle color, it seemed like his name would be... "K-ka?"
"Ka?" His eyes sparkled while gesturing his hand for you to continue.

'Blue hair, periwinkle eyes, tall man, blue hair, periwinkle eyes tall ma-' you said in your thoughts repeatedly until you got the answer, "Kaeya Alberich!" You pointed at him with excitement, expecting him to celebrate your small milestone. However, the atmosphere changed and his smile slowly faded as well as the spark in his eyes. He, then, lowered the clipboard, covering his nameplate written, Kamisato Ayato.
It was pure dead silence so you tried to break it. "Oh! By the way, may I know why no one is visiting me? Do I have a family? Friends?"

"I cannot disclose such information that would interfere with your mental health." The doctor wasn't looking at you when he said that. He seemed not in the mood.
"With that answer, I'm expecting I don't have anyone."

"Thoma will be in charge of you for a while as I check the other patients." Kamisato stood up.

"Hold on!" You grasp his long sleeves, looking up at him. "If you were not Kaeya, then who is he?"

"I... don't know."

You raised one of your eyebrows. "Yes, you do."

Thoma, then, knocked on the door before entering in. "Doc Kamisato, you called me?"
Kamisato left the room without saying a word.

"May I know what happened?" asked Nurse Thoma as he faced you.

"Maybe, I said something wrong...?"

"What exactly?"

"It was a mistake. I called him by a different name. I honestly don't know why it affected him so much," you replied. "I didn't know he wasn't Kaeya. He looked like that name. Blue eyes, Blue hair, tall man."

"You called him who?!"

"Kaeya?" you simply said. "Why do you look so surprised? Is there something wrong?"

"I'm sorry. I'm not in a position for me to say something about that."

***

The next day, you wake up normally, still remembering what happened yesterday which is a small but good progress. Expecting the doctor will greet you a good morning, Thoma knocked on your door and came in. "Good morning, Ma'am."

"Where is he?" you asked.

"The doctor is on leave," answered Thoma. "I'm glad you had a normal sleep. You even remembered him."

The doctor's leave became frequent. It went from 2 to 4 days. You were making lots of progress yet he wasn't there to witness it. You've learned how to walk straight and got the hang of it now. Different doctors came to check up on you instead of him. While eating the bland meal that Thoma gave, you can't help but question him. "What happened to him?"

"Is it that too bland?" Thoma pointed at your meal. "Good thing, I bought a chocolate for you so you could taste it at least once. Don't tell it to anyone though!"

Your eyes widened and so you took the chocolate, had a bite, and suddenly, the breeze in the room changed. You forgot some moments that had happened in the past, yet your taste buds still remembered everything. The familiar taste of the chocolate, the one who gave it to you. It all plays in your head like a film. Something familiar, in a crowded classroom, there was someone who gave these exact chocolates to you. Blue hair, lavender eyes, tall ma-

There was a knock on the door which made you look that way. "Am I too early for the visiting hours?"

You tilted your head sideways, trying to remember him. 'Did he enter the wrong room number?'

"Oh, it was nice to see you again. I've missed you so much." The man gave you a bouquet of calla lily flowers and fruits on your side table.

A/N: Writing this while listening to NFA album by lana del rey. That album makes me productive fr