♤ Prologue ♤

-Are you sure about this, Yuki? asked a brunette girl with her hair in a bun.
   -I'm sure! Don't worry! asserted a boy with blond hair.
   He wore an expression of little confidence, though determined.
   -And yet...
   -I've got no choice! If I don't do it, I'll... In short, I have no choice! It'll all work out anyway!
   A smile spread across his face, leaving the brunette doubtful.
   -Well... I don't really trust your parents.
   She sighed before continuing.
   -You're far too optimistic. It's up to you...

   Just as Yuki was about to speak, he felt something hit his head hard enough to make him wince. He passed his hand where he had received the thing, while shifting his gaze to the ground. At his feet was a pebble.
   Laughter erupted and the blond boy turned around. Two boys were laughing mockingly.
   -You'd better not contaminate us! said one.
   -Go and get yourself treated! said the second. A good therapy would do you good!
   -Not better! Go and die! Scum of the earth!

   The brunette suddenly got up from the chair she was sitting on, looking very angry.
   -You're the scum of the earth! I'm not going to let you idiots get away with this! she shouted.
   -Boo, we're scared! laughed the two boys.
   They walked away laughing, leaving their victim staring glumly at the table. His friend quickly noticed this and leaned towards him with a worried expression.
   -Don't listen to them...
   He raised his head with a smile.
   -Don't worry, it doesn't matter. Look, I'm better already!

   Yuki's nervous laugh betrayed his words. As for her, she couldn't help worrying even more. Her friend had told the class, and things were going badly from then on. And now it was her parents' turn. It was double or nothing. But she had a feeling that things weren't going to work out the way he thought they would.
   The brunette moved closer to the blond boy and grabbed the bottom of his shoulders, looking into his eyes. The latter was surprised.
   -Stop keeping everything to yourself! It's no good! You'll regret it ! So, if anything goes wrong tonight, come to my place! Do you promise?

   There was a silence where Yuki looked at his comrade. Then he smiled again.
   -I'm fine and everything will be fine. I promise there won't be any problems.
   -Just promise me you'll come to my house if there's a problem! I don't care about anything else!
   Apparently, she wasn't going to let him go until he said the famous word. He was silent for a moment, understanding the brunette.
   -I promise...
   Discreetly, he crossed his fingers. He didn't want to disturb her any more.

   And yet, despite his optimism, despite his assertions, nothing went according to plan.
   -Wah- exclaimed Yuki as he fell to the ground outside.
   No sooner had he raised his head than he was hit in the head by books. His own.
   -You think we raised you to be like this?! shouted a man, his father.
   -But... I just...
   -How could it end like this... cried a woman, his mother.

   The blond looked at his parents, his eyes wide. Why these disproportionate reactions? He'd done absolutely nothing wrong and now he was being blamed for all his parents' unhappiness.
   -I don't want to see you here again!
   Snapping out of his stupor, the young boy saw his father with a guitar case in his hands. The latter threw it at his son, who barely caught it so that it wouldn't be damaged by banging against anything.

   Then the door slammed shut. Yuki took a moment to realise what had happened. He looked down at the floor where some of his books were scattered. He felt tears welling up inside him, but forced himself to hold them back.

  It was painful. Not physically. But mentally. It was terribly painful, especially having trusted his parents. Why had it ended like this.

Ahhh... My dear...

   He got to his feet, staggering, before grabbing his guitar case and walking away from his house, looking glum.

   A magnificent and noble flower of evil. You really are the most beautiful of all.

   The blond continued walking through the dark streets. His phone vibrated. He grabbed it and looked to see what it was. It was his friend who was worried.
   -Sorry...he whispered.
   He put the phone away without answering and continued walking.

Mirror, my beautiful mirror. Tell me who is the most...

   -It should be fine here...
   Yuki had found himself a little shelter under a bridge beside a river reflected by the moon. He dropped to the ground, exhausted, but keeping his holster on his back.

Those guided by the Mirror of Darkness. As long as your heart desires. Take the hand that appears in the mirror.

   A noise caught his attention. Panicking, he got to his feet and positioned himself warily. Then his eyes widened as he discovered that the noises were those of horses pulling a black carriage.

For me.

For them.

For you.

We're running out of time.

No matter what happens,

Don't let go of my hand.

.

.

.