♤ Chapter 7 ♤

Grim, Yuki, Ace and Deuce watched as the statue of the Queen of Hearts burst into flames, quickly, very quickly realising that they were in trouble now. They could have escaped quickly, but there were plenty of witnesses around them.
   -What's going on here? Stop this immediately!
   The four of them jumped and turned at the same time. They faced Crowley. His presence dispelled any curiosity.
   -Oh no! The headmaster! cried the redhead.
   -Oh no! We've got to get out of here! Added the animal who couldn't get away, quickly held back by the blonde.

   -You quaaaaaaaaatre!
   Crowley's voice sent shivers down the spine of the quartet.
   -What the hell are you doing? You burnt one of the statues of the Great Seven! That's blasphemy against a renowned personality! I can't turn a blind eye to that!
   The three teenagers and the cat looked at each other, afraid of what was going to happen. They said nothing.
   -You're all expelled immediately!

   Well, that was the worst possible situation. Expelled. For Yuki, it meant losing a roof over his head. For the rest, it was going to be something else...
   -No! Forgive me! Ace exclaimed.
   -Expelled?! After finally getting into a famous school... What am I going to tell my mother...? Ace panicked.
   -There's no way I'm leaving this place! Grim snapped.
   The man started to walk away. The blond went after him.
   -W-Wait! I'm sure he means we'll catch up! Please give them a second chance! I think they'll agree to do whatever it takes not to get fired! No ?
   With that, the young blond turned to the two students concerned.
   -Yes! I'm ready to do anything! confirmed the blue-haired boy.

   Suddenly, the headmaster turned round, interested.
   -Anything at all? he repeated.
   He took a moment to think.
   -Then I'll give you a chance to catch up. he finally said. There's a huge chandelier hanging in the cafeteria. A magical chandelier with eternal candles that burn indefinitely. It's a masterpiece created by the legendary master of magical tools. This very object is now losing its power. It seems that the source of its strength, the magic stone, is weakening. Magic gems are mined in a place called Mont Nain... We may be able to repair it with gems of similar properties.
   -I'll go and get one! Please, you've got to let me go! Deuce begged.

   There was silence again, as Crowley pondered this.
   -... Very well. However, you'll be expelled if you don't come back with the gem tomorrow morning. You can get to Dwarf Mountain through a door in the Chamber of Mirrors. he explained.
   -I'll do it! Thank you! Thanked the blue-haired boy.

   The headmaster disappeared into the distance, leaving the two students, the cat and the young boy together.
   -Huh... Well... We'll be back with that stone in no time. Ace said, scratching the back of his head.
   Yuki seemed slightly lost in all that had been said. He released Grim, before running a hand over the back of his neck.
   -Er... I didn't catch everything, but I suppose that's normal?
   -You'll see when we get there. Come on, let's go. said the redhead.

   The quartet arrived at the famous Hall of Mirrors. All the way here, no one had said anything to each other, and no one was talking. The blond looked around, discovering the place. Then they passed the place indicated by the headmaster, finding themselves in the vicinity of a forest, in the middle of the night.
   -Wow... We've teleported! Yuki exclaimed with a smile.
   Deuce seemed amused by the blonde's enthusiastic reaction.  
   -Didn't you know anything about magic before? asked the blue-haired boy.
   -Only from a few stories, but it was never the same in every book. And it's even better to see it with my own eyes! I'll have to tell him about it...
   -Tell who? asked the boy curiously.
   -Just my friend. Just a friend. But... I wonder if she'll believe it.

    A scraping sound was heard, and attention turned to Ace.
   -We've got better things to do than talk. Look over there, I see a house. Let's go and see if there are any people inside. he says, acanthus moving away.
  -There's no need to be in such a hurry. said Grim, following him.
   Deuce and Yuki exchanged glances before following suit.

   The group entered the small house, dark and dusty. They could barely see, leaving the door open to let the moon shine in.
   -Hello? Is anyone home...? called the blue
   Only silence answered him.
   -It must be empty. It looks like it's been abandoned. he deduced.
   -Bwah! I've got a spider's web on my face! Grim panicked before sneezing.
   -Look how tiny these tables and chairs are. Did children live here? Supposed the redhead.
   -One, two... Seven! counted the blond. Sounds like quite a family to me.
   -When the mine was flourishing,
This house must have been a lively place. Supposed Deuce.

   There was silence before Ace spoke again.
   -This isn't getting us anywhere. If we're going to find a magic stone, it must be inside the mine.
   The other three nodded before they left the house and headed for the famous mine. It wasn't exactly reassuring, to be honest, the wind inside sounded like a growl.
   -Let's go inside and have a look.
   Ace seemed the only one who didn't mind the darkness.
   -Do you really want to go in there? It's pitch black! complained the cat.
   -What, are you afraid of the dark? Pathetic.
   -Myah?! I'm not scared of anything!
I'll take the lead. You all follow me! Grim ordered.
   -Huh? Wait! called Deuce.

   But he and the blond couldn't say anything, their two comrades having gone ahead. And Yuki didn't seem motivated to enter. He'd even turned pale.
   -Erm... Is- Is that...
   -Hm?
   Deuce turned around, puzzled.
   -Are you alright? he asked, after seeing his comrade's pale face.
   -Erm... Mines are closed places... Aren't they?
   -Yes, they are. Are you claustrophobic?
   The young boy scratched the back of his head in embarrassment. Yes, he was, and it was blocking him. His legs were completely paralysed.

   His comrade seemed to think for a moment before proposing a solution.
   -You can stay here while we go and get the stone. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, I suppose.
   -... You're really not going to mind?
   -It shouldn't take us too long, so don't worry.
   The man concerned took his time to think, but if the answer came quickly.
   -All right, I'll stay here! Take your time!
   -I will.

   Ace's voice rang out in the mine, surely calling out to his comrade. The two outside greeted each other with a wave of the hand, before Yuki found himself alone. He had no choice but to move to the side and wait, curling up to reassure himself.