♤ Chapter 5 ♤

Crowley left the building after the agreement he had just made with the two young men. Grim and Yuki went in silence into what served as a living room - if you could call it that - the boy carrying the famous buckets he had found. He placed them all over the place while the animal rushed to the table.
   -Bon appétit! he said to himself.
   The blond looked at him with a smile before joining him.
   -Leave me some at least! he said.
   -Humf. If you like.

   Yuki settled down and began to eat. The meal was silent, but it wasn't unpleasant. It was pleasant to be here. But all this could only be a dream in the eyes of the boy. Anyway, might as well make the most of it.

   Once the meal was finished, the young boy got up and stretched.
   -I'm going to sleep, good night.
   -Good night.
   Without further ado, he climbed the stairs with a smile on his face. He arrived on the first floor where the water leaks were worse. It was risky to walk on the floor, as it could give way with every step. And the floor creaked at the slightest change in weight.

   Yuki found a room with a mirror. The furniture was dusty, as was the bed. On the plus side, there weren't too many water leaks.
   With tired steps, he made his way to the bed before letting himself fall onto it. A cloud of dust rose up, giving the blond a coughing fit.
   -I should have been more careful... he grumbled.
   He looked at his now dusty clothes and tried to clean them up a bit. This made him remember that his jumper was soaking wet.

   Hesitating for a moment, the blond removed his jumper to find himself in a tank top underneath. He stood up, walked over to an old chair and placed his clothes on it. His gaze met his reflection in the mirror. He stared at it for a few seconds, looking gloomier, before going to bed.

   The day had arrived. Yuki had already been awake for a while. He'd had a very bad night, but this was confirmation that he wasn't in a dream. This unfamiliar place hadn't allowed him a full night's sleep, and adding the stress of Grim's presence, it was even worse. Grim had come to join him, probably because it was the least humid room. On the other hand, the animal had a tendency to talk in his sleep. A lot of talking. And that didn't help.

   -Hee hee hee...
   This laugh startled the young boy, who sat up suddenly and looked around. It wasn't Grim's voice, and there was no one there. It sounded more like he'd heard it yesterday.
   -Aren't you supposed to be cleaning the school today?
   At these words, a ghost appeared. All skinny and tall. Yuki let out a scream before grabbing the blanket and pulling it up to her face.
   -Mmmmm... Nngh... You don't have to shout... just let me sleep...
   -Go ahead, sleep all day.
And you may never have to wake up again. Says the fat man
   -Just like us! Ah ha ha ha ha ha! Ria the little one.

   -Please get out of this room! cried the blond-haired boy again.
   -Why are you shouting again... Grumbled the cat.
   He finally woke up, getting up and stretching before finally seeing the ghosts.
   -Myah?! The ghosts are back!
   -You've finally woken up!
   -Hmph! They won't escape!

   Enraged, the feline attacked the ghosts, sending up blue flames. This only provoked laughter from the spirits.
   -I hear you're going to be living here from now on?
   -I hope you like pranks as much as we do! Hya ha ha!
   And they disappeared.
   -We've got to get rid of these things for good! And you'd better not stop me!
   Ignoring this last comment, Yuki sighed, but didn't let go of the blanket.

   The sound of a creaking door drew the attention of the original duo. Crowley appeared in front of them.
   -Good morning, Yuki. Did you sleep well?
   Yuki refrained from saying "No, how could I sleep well in an unfamiliar, run-down place?", but he was rather grateful to have a roof over his head and couldn't blame him for his insomnia and, above all, his sleepless night. The headmaster had nothing to do with the latter.
   So it was Grim who spoke up.
   -No, he didn't! When I lay down on the bed, the mattress fell through the frame! How dilapidated is this dormitory? And what's worse, we were woken up by ghosts!
   The man almost ignored the animal and looked at the boy, waiting for an answer. Yuki replied with a shrug of the shoulder, saying nothing more.
   -It's understandable that you're anxious after being dragged into such an unfamiliar place. But the world can be cruel. So you just have to bide your time and move on!

   Take it easy... That was all very well to say, but what was the point when you were far too often in an unpleasant situation like the one you were in at the moment?
   Silence was all he could do. And what he knew how to do.

   -Speaking of moving forward,
let's discuss your mission for today. Crowley began. Today you have to clean the campus.
   Ah yes, with his fatigue and all the morning's agitation, the blond had forgotten all about it. He could live here in exchange for Grim and him cleaning up.
   -That said, the campus is vast and, without magic, it would be a Herculean task to clean everything. That's why today I'm going to ask you to concentrate on the area between the entrance gates and the library. Now, Yuki... I expect you to keep a close eye on Grim, lest he cause another incident like yesterday.
   -I will!
   He must have been able to do it. It couldn't have been that difficult...
   -Don't let me down!You can have your lunch in the cafeteria. We look forward to the fruits of your labour.

   With that, Crowley left the room.
   -Peuh! I'm here to study magic so I can have some fun.
spells left and right! Like BAM! POW! FWOOM!
   -Maybe once you've finished you can study in the library, eh? The blond tried to suggest kindly.
   -Hrmph. Don't count on me to help you!
   -You could try to make an effort... After all, Crowley has agreed to keep you here... he sighed.
   -To clean up! You're talking about an advantage! But you've got no magic, so you mustn't mind cleaning up, must you?

   The young boy sighed, annoyed. When Grim's back was turned and he approached the door, the blond boy let go of the blanket and began to reach for his jumper to put it on.
   -Well, can you hurry up and come over? the animal asked, turning round.
   Yuki and Grim looked at each other for a moment, one embarrassed and the other surprised. Then the cat finally spoke.
   -Myah! But you're a girl!
   -No! I mean, yeah, but no! That's... This isn't... I'm a boy and don't think I'm not!
   The boy put on his jumper in fourth gear and left the room, panicked by what had just happened. No one had noticed yet, and he would have liked it to stay that way. He didn't want it to happen again.

   He arrived in the living room, saw breakfast on the table and stopped for a few minutes. He shook his head, left the dormitory and took a deep breath of fresh air. Then he hid his face in his hands.
   -I'm such an idiot...
   He remained silent for a few seconds before shaking his head and raising it again.
   -If I explain things to Grim, he should understand. Anyway, I've got no choice now, and I've got to convince him not to say anything...
   He took a deep breath before returning to the building.

   He arrived in the living room where the animal was eating. He swallowed slightly, remembering for a few moments the events that had taken place in his home. He shook his head again, banishing the memory. He wasn't at home, it was going to be different.
   -Erm... Grim?
   He turned his head towards his flatmate.
   -What ?
   -Can't you just treat me like a boy? Well, I am one, so...
   -I don't get this weird human nonsense. You're too full of yourself! But if you really want to be treated like a guy, then I'll do it. But don't complain!

   The blonde's face lit up.
   -Thanks Grim!
   He joined him at the table with a smile. His fear was gone. He just hoped he'd keep his word.