♤ Chapitre 8 ♤

It was frighteningly quiet in front of this forest. Yuki had been waiting for Ace, Deuce and Grim to return for what seemed like an eternity. Time didn't seem to stand still.
   -They should be back soon. he tried to convince himself.
   He took a deep breath when
he heard a noise. First, a sort of spine-chilling voice echoing off the walls of the mine. Then the voices of the three boys who had gone in search of the stone. And they emerged from where they were, followed by a strange creature with a head like a jar, filled with a black liquid.

   The blond stood up, eyes wide. This creature looked like a monster straight out of a book.
   -Yuki! called the blue-haired boy.
   This snapped him out of his astonishment. He hurried to join the trio.
   -What's that thing? he asked.
   -We don't know any more than you do! snorted Ace. All we know is that it protects the magic stone and that our spells don't do it much good!
   -Did you find the stone? wondered the non-magician even more.
   -Yes! But we couldn't get it back! replied the feline, looking frightened.

   The quartet moved as far away from the creature as possible, hiding behind a tree. The monster remained in front of the mine entrance, refusing to leave.
   -Stone... to me... he repeated over and over.
   Once they'd caught their breath, Deuce and Ace looked in the direction of their enemy, Yuki avoiding doing so out of sheer fear.
   -I guess we'll just have to give up... sighed the redhead.
   -No way! We've got to get the stone back! That monster's guarding the stone, we have to beat him to get it back! asserted his comrade.
   -You're joking, aren't you? Panicked the boy with the heart on his face.
   -P-P-Please don't! A genius like me shouldn't take risks! Grim added.

   Deuce turned round, a determined gleam in his eyes. Yuki looked at the rookie, realising that nothing could change his mind.
   -Getting expelled is out of the question for me! he announced.
   -But is it worth risking your life? asked Ace. Let's turn the towel upside down and leave already. It's better to be expelled than to have to fight this thing.

   There was a silence and Deuce began to clench his fist, before striking the tree.
   -Piss off! Like we're going to stop when the jewel's within our grasp! Don't come, I'm going! You cowards can just stay there!
   He started to walk away until the blonde grabbed his wrist. He turned round, surprised.
   -I'm going to create a diversion! I... know I don't have any magic but I'll do my best! I'm sure it'll help!
   -... All right, thanks!
   -Myaah! I'm not sure that's a good idea... complained the animal.
   -Stay here, don't worry.

   Ace put his hand behind his head, looking annoyed.
   -I don't want to, but I'm coming. It would be the worst possible idea to let someone without magic create a diversion. I'll help you, Yuki.
   He and his comrade turned round, surprised.
   -But only if it's useful! he added.
   -It will be! Don't worry! Deuce affirmed.
   Grim looked at them, not reassured at first, then annoyed.
   -I'm coming too! I'll show him what I'm made of!

   The quartet split into two groups: Deuce on one side, who went back into the mine, and Yuki, Ace and Grim, who acted as a diversion.
   The blond was the first to lure the monster to his side in order to free the entrance to the place where the coveted stone was located. The creature was distracted, however, and advanced towards the young boy with its mournful voice. Just as he was about to attack, the redhead and the cat stepped in with an attack. And both sent out as many spells as they could.
   Fortunately, Deuce soon returned with the magic stone. He joined the other three to come to their aid. All the more so as the creature had turned its attention back to the boy, probably wanting his precious stone back and must have been attracted by it.

   It took them a long time to get over it. Yuki could only watch, drawing the monster's attention towards him when one of the quartet was too closely targeted by the enemy.
   And it took an attack of fire, wind and cauldron from his three magicians, launched at the same time, to bring the enemy down.
    -Myyyy... Stooooooone... he shouted as he disappeared.
   The group looked at him, out of breath, taking the time to realise that it was finally over.
   -Is it... over? Ace asked.
   -I think... we've won? said Grim in turn.
   -Did we? Surprised Deuce.
   -Brilliant! exclaimed Yuki.
   -Woohoo!
   -Give me a victory high-five! ordered the cat.

   And so they did, sharing their hard-won victory. Nobody was going to get fired like that. All that was left was to go home and show Crowley.
   -Anyway, I'm glad no one got hurt. sighed the blond with relief.
   -Yes, yes. Can we go home now? I'm knackered. replied the redhead.
   -Using all that magic made me hungry! added the feline.
   Noticing something on the ground at the same time, he turned his attention to it.
   -What's that? What's that?
   -Is it part of the monster we've just beaten? asked the dark blue-haired boy. It looks like... But it's as black as coal! I've never seen anything like it.

   The rest of the group looked at her intrigued, especially the young boy with blond hair. As for the grey ball of fur, he moved closer to sniff it.
   -Oh, it smells incredible! he exclaimed. It must be some kind of fancy monster candy he's been hiding from us! he concluded.
    The boys looked at him surprised and somewhat unconvinced. Or rather not convinced at all.
   -If the taste is as good as the smell...
  And with that, Grim swallowed the stone, causing the rest of the group to let out a cry of surprise.
   -Are you crazy?! Ace exclaimed.

   The animal didn't really care and devoured the stone.
   -I don't think it's a good idea to... began Yuki.
   But he was cut off when the cat started meowing loudly, to everyone's surprise once again.
   -Are you alright? asked Deuce.
   -That's what happens when you eat rubbish! grumbled Deuce.
   -Ooooooooh... That was incredible! announced the hairball.
   -What was what? gasped the trio.
   Rich in flavour and full-bodied... Like sweet, fragrant flowers blooming on my tongue. A whole field! Right in my mouth!

   The blond blinked several times and turned to the other two boys.
   -Disgusting. Monsters must have really weird tastes. Pissed the redhead.
   -Most human beings don't pick up random objects off the ground and put them in their mouths.
   -Judging by your reaction, it's not an edible thing in this world... concluded the magic-free man before turning to Grim. Are you sure you're all right?
   -Myah ha ha ha! That was great. Don't worry about me, though.
I don't have a weak stomach like you humans.
   -Hmph. We'll see how smug you are when you get sick later tonight. sighed Ace.

   The blond looked at the cat for a moment, then at the redhead, before sighing.
   -I'll let you know if you want, but if it tasted good it wasn't something too serious to eat. I... suppose if it had, it would have tasted bad. For now, let's go home.
   Everyone nodded at Yuki's words, before starting to make their way back.