Holes

Later that day, I was hanging up the clothes we had washed to dry.

It had been a couple hours since Shane had beaten Ed. Dale tried to doctor him for his injuries, but he wouldn't take it. He was too mad at everybody else in the group for what happened today.

Andrea and Amy then comes walking over to us with a ton of fish on a chain. A smile came onto my face as soon as I saw them, "Holy shit."

"Oh baby, would you look at that." Morales smiles, glancing over at his wife. Andrea's smirk grew, as she walks over to him and hands him the chain of fish. He holds the fish up, "Ladies, because of you, my children will eat tonight."

Amy smiles, as he stands up to his feet. She hands him the other chain of fish, as Andrea takes a breath, "Thank Dale, it's his canoe and gear."

Clive's smile grew, as he walked closer to the fish.

Carl and Sophia stared at the fish Morales held up. They walked over to his side, "Wow, mom, look at all of the fish." He points, smiling from ear to ear.

Morales smiles, as he waved them towards mom. She chuckled, "I can see that." She says, moving slightly to avoid being touched by them.

"Aunt Grace, do you think dad and Sam could catch as many as they could?" Clive asked, his smile widened as he looked at me.

I scoffed quietly, my smile growing onto my face, "Your dad could barely catch a date with your mom, let alone catch a fish." I laughed, gazing at my nephew.

He chuckled at me, as his eyes shifted back to the fish on a chain.

"Are all of those fish?" Sophia asked, a curious look on her face as she looked at the girls. Andrea's eyes shifted down to her, "Yes, these are all fish."

Lori's eyes shifted to Andrea and Amy, "Where did you two learn to do that?"

"From our dad." Amy answers her, taking a drink of water.

Carl looks to the girls, "Can you teach me how to do that?" He asks, cocking his brow.

"Sure!" She smiles, nodding, "I'll teach you all about nail knots and stuff." Her blue eyes shifted over to mom, "If that's okay."

Lori scoffs, barely shaking her head, "You won't catch me arguing."

"Great!" Amy smiled.

Andrea turns to look at Dale, "Hey Dale," The old man looks over at her, "When's the last time you oiled those line reels? They are a disgrace."

A cringe look came onto his face, as he walked over, "I ah.." He walks over and stands next to Shane, "I don't mean to alarm everyone, but we may have a bit of a problem.."

My brows began to furrow, "A problem?"

Dale turns and points off to the other side of the mountain.

We all looked over to see Jim digging. Clive cocked his brow, "So he's digging, what's the problem?" He crosses her arms.

Dale looks over at him, "That is the problem, son." He says, raising his brows, "He's been up there digging for hours, nonstop. He won't accept help, he won't take a break, let alone a sip of water. He's been doing it since this morning."

I walked over and stood next to Clive, "Alright then, let's go stop him."

All of us were walking over to where Jim was with Dale leading the way. Clive walked alongside me, as we walked up the hill.

He didn't acknowledge us as soon as we got up to him. He knew we saw how many holes he had dug, but he kept slamming his shovel into the dirt.

We all stood in silence as we watched him dig.