01. 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕯𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖔𝖓𝖘 𝕮𝖆𝖑𝖑

𝕿𝖍𝖊 young boy's scream rang out in the empty forest that surrounded the winding road

𝕿𝖍𝖊 young boy's scream rang out in the empty forest that surrounded the winding road. Eyes wide Cadenza managed in a frenzy to move Eadgifu to the left, narrowly avoiding trampling the young man in front of her.

"Are you okay?" she questioned the young boy as he stared blankly at her, his face red from nerves and his chest heaving.

"I-I will be in a minute" he responded sounding winded.

The girl began to ramble, mortified that she had almost trampled the young man in front of her. "I am so sorry, I didn't see you on the road which is no excuse but-"

"I'm fine I swear." He cut her off.

Noticing the guilty look on her face he straightened, giving her a soft smile. She shyly returned his smile before dismounting from her horse and extending her hand to him.

"I'm Cadenza," she said, he looked at her hand for a minute as if contemplating whether she was a danger or not before he reached out and accepted her gesture.

"Merlin" he replied staring at her skeptically.

"It's very nice to meet you, Merlin," She said the shy smile on her face growing wider as she noticed the bag he was carrying " I don't mean to intrude but where are you heading?"

Still skeptical he replied "I am on my way to Camelot, I am staying with my uncle there."

The girl's eyes widened.

"I'm going to Camelot too," she said with a laugh " So today must be your lucky day, I'll give you a ride on Eadgifu the rest of the way as a sorry for almost trampling you."

"Are you sure?" Merlin questioned.

She nodded and motioned for him to get on the horse. Once she made sure her new friend was secure behind her the young girl urged Eadgifu to continue moving. The tired horsed whined before slowly trotting forward.

"So," she began " is there any specific reason you chose to come to Camelot, besides staying with your uncle?"

She felt the young man behind her tense. Merlin let out a sad sigh before speaking in a low, sorrowful voice

"I didn't fit in anymore," he said as he looked down to the ground beneath them. He quickly smothered his sorrow though as he replaced his frown with a smile.

"What about you?" He asked.

"It's complicated," she replied "I mostly wanted a new start and blank slate."

The boy behind her nodded. Cadenza looked up at the structure she could see in the distance, she couldn't make out exactly what it was but from what she could see it was rather extravagant. Confused she turned to Merlin who was also gazing at the same structure.

"What is that?" she questioned

"That Cadenza, is Camelot," he replied meeting her eyes with a grin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------