Chapter 15

After our last... Encounter, I knew I needed to avoid him. Not only to appease the incredible awkwardness that I knew would take place, but also because I can't believe it finally had happened. He kept telling me again and again that it would and I hated that I fell into his little trap of charm. He didn't have a routine, part of his 'work' I guess, but that made it hard to keep track of where or when he would be somewhere, so I found myself constantly on edge. Worried I would run into him around every corner, every room I entered or left I thought I would see his bright, piercing blue eyes and perfectly chiseled body-

"STOP THINKING ABOUT HIM!" I screamed to myself. Unfortunately for me, that lasted about two seconds before I rounded the corner between the kitchen and patio door and was stopped dead in my tracks by what I saw outside. Lincoln was doing... Yard work? What the hell? He has an entire team of lawn care professionals that manicure the entire property, yet here he was out in the sun, topless, sweating, and dirty. I was frozen, seeing the sweat glisten on each defined muscle of his torso, watching his arms flex as he dug into the earth. I found myself biting my lip. As I did I shook my head and realized I was staring at him like an idiot. I grabbed my water bottle and practically ran to my room with nothing but his image burned in my head.

The annoying part of it all was this KEPT HAPPENING all week! I spotted him in the gym, in the pool, in the kitchen, you name it, I saw him. And each time he was topless, each time he was doing something sexier then the last, then it dawned on me. He was doing it on purpose. I had told him what we did would never happen again and he was trying to change that! Clearly he could NEVER know what I wouldn't even admit to myself yet... That I did in fact want it to happen again, but I already gave in once and was not about to let my pride take that hit again.

Several days had gone by and I felt like I was finally clearing my system of the James gene. He hadn't tried to make any moves, hadn't tried to push anything on me, it was strange. I knew I would run into him eventually, but I hadn't pictured it would go something like this.

It was late one evening and I decided I wanted to go for a night swim. The house was quiet and I thought Lincoln must have been away on a business trip because I hadn't seen him or Duke for a few days. I poked my head outside and saw no one, so thinking I was in the clear I happily made my way to the pool deck and took off my swimsuit cover, jumping into the water.

"Ahh." The water was perfect so I floated on my back for awhile, simply enjoying the feeling of weightlessness, completely unaware that the glass door to the kitchen had opened. It wasn't until I heard someone talking that I came to my senses and looked up, of course it was Lincoln. He hadn't seemed to notice me as he was on the phone.

"Listen, that's not going to fucking work. So either get your shit together or I'll send someone your way to get it together for you! Got it? Great. I'll talk to you tomorrow." He hung up. "Fucking idiots, my god."

He tossed his phone on one of the pool chairs and stripped down, not to his underwear like I thought he was going to, but naked. Fully and entirely naked. I panicked, and tried to get any kind of word to come out of my mouth. It wasn't until he turned around right before jumping in the pool that he saw me and froze.

"Jesus fucking CHRIST Devon what the hell are you doing? You scared the shit out of me, I could have shot you!"

"Oh do you have a gun up your asshole I don't know about?" I furrowed my brows at him, "I didn't hear you come out, then all the sudden you were naked! I was just swimming peacefully!" I wasn't looking at him, making it obvious I wasn't checking him out.

Though the fact he didn't try to cover up or hide himself was honestly somewhat impressive, definitely not most peoples first reaction and a clear sign of bodily confidence.

"Don't cover up or anything," I said, clearly averting my eyes.

"Whatever it's my house, if I want to be naked in my pool I can be."

"Except that there's someone else here too you jack ass!" I had my back turned to him now, probably a mistake since I heard the splash of water as he dove in and swam up to me. He popped out of the water and I backed away, holding my hand up to cover my eyes from seeing his junk.

"Well the only person it bothers is you, I don't care if you see me naked. So if you've got a problem, you can leave."

"Fine I will!" I walked towards the steps, "selfish prick" I muttered under my breath.

I expected some kind of snarky remark asking me to stay, or my opinion on his penis, but when I turned back he was swimming laps. Obviously whatever his phone call had been about had made him more upset than usual, it was weird to see him off his game. But I didn't give it much more thought as I was still sticking to my guns and trying my best to avoid him, so without looking back again I wrapped myself in a towel and made my way inside.