𝟬𝟵𝟰  if i can't have love, i want power

𝙓𝘾𝙄𝙑.
IF I CAN'T HAVE LOVE, I WANT POWER

ALTERNATIVE TITLE: BETH AND DEREK (REPRISE)

──────

TIME FOR DEREK TO GET HIS ASS BEAT! ❤️
as always, derek slander is encouraged in the comments!
rip him to shreds pals x

AS AMELIA WATCHED Dominic Fox leave, destined to accomplish what he hadn't with Beth's surgical career back in New York, she couldn't help but look over towards the plastic surgeon beside her.

She watched him internalise the news that they were no longer needed, that they weren't necessary to whatever intricate plan Dom had pieced together off the back of this new evidence. Her eyes ran across every inch of him, from the jaw that had not unclenched in the past twenty-four hours, to the fists that were balled and stuffed at the bottom of his scrub-pant pockets.

Amy observed him, tongue between her teeth and brow slightly furrowed, realising that out of the two of them, Mark seemed the least relieved about how everything had ended up.

Amy had a personal investment.

She wanted Beth to be okay both out of friendship and a personal interest in thwarting her brother in any other life he ever set out to ruin-- she knew first hand how much of an asshole he could be and the sort of damage he could really inflict on someone.

She didn't want it to happen to Beth, not when she'd just gotten the psychiatrist back into her life. They'd both been doing good, they'd been great. Amy had an interest in getting it back to that point.

But Mark...

He seemed to feel her stare. It was as if she'd already spoken.

She watched his shoulders lower, his face turned away and the cogs in his brain whirr as he looked down at the floor as if to compose himself.

She watched every single little thought as it crossed his mind, every muscle as it ironed itself out and folded in half like newly stacked laundry. She just stood there silently and observed him.

Had he wanted to walk into that room? She couldn't tell.

Had Derek's need to be the hero of every story rubbed off on the man standing beside her? Had Mark wanted to be needed for five goddamn seconds in Beth's life--

Ah.

Oh.

Amy couldn't stop the chuckle from falling past her lips.

Furthermore, she couldn't stop the look of intense joy that overcame her as she watched Mark tense, as if knowing exactly what she was thinking.

She hadn't realised it was possible for his jaw to clench further, but it did; he braced himself as if he was in physical pain.

She wasn't sure whether it was shame, but something was building behind those baby blue eyes that refused to look over at her.

Fuck, she didn't know why she was surprised every time she noticed it.

"Amy..."

"No," She said, shaking her head. She continued to laugh until her lungs were dry. "Don't Amy me. No, Mark. You're so screwed."

This time, he didn't argue.

***

─── The last time she'd been in this office, she'd made him bleed.