Jack

Throwing the van into park, I flipped up the collar of my jacket. According to their schedule, the diner had opened a few hours ago, welcoming their breakfast rush of retirees and holiday get togethers. The bell screwed to the door dinged as I pushed it open, announcing me to the cheery hostess who greeted me with a caffeine laced stare.

"Welcome in! Waiting on anyone today or can I find you a spot at our bar?"

"Just me, the bar is fine." Snatching up a menu, she led me across the floor to a 50's style diner bar. Before long I had a cup of black coffee sat in front of me and some plain toast. But of course, I wasn't here for the mediocre line cooks working in the kitchen. No, I was here for the idiot holed up in his office in the back. The guy who hadn't been home in 3 days because he was too scared that I'd follow him home to his silently suffering wife. His loan had come due two weeks ago. My boss' loan sharks had handed the file over to me one week ago, and 5 days ago I had arrived in this dumpy town hanging on the outskirts of the city. I snagged the attention of a wandering waitress as she walked past.

"Excuse me, what time do you close?"

"9 pm." I faked a concerned frown,

"Oh, that's pretty late, I hope they don't keep all you ladies here by yourself..."

"Oh no," She gave me an appreciative smile, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear, "The owner closes the store, we just clean the dining area and head out."

"Ah, I see, and who's the owner nowadays?"

Travis... Melchin, I think." I nodded, my smile disappearing as soon as she walked away.

Of course, I knew that Travis was the owner, but the cheery waitress didn't need to know that. Taking a sip of my coffee, I paused as I caught a flash of platinum blonde hair slipping into the crowd of tables on the other side of the diner. A tiny little thing swimming in the awful green t shirts all the diner staff wore. Dancing around the chairs and tables in her worn out shoes, splattered with mud. She was quick on her feet, dodging the chaotic movements of the customers easily. Long legs under a simple black apron, a little skinnier than what usually caught my eye, but as she turned to clear a table I finally caught a glimpse of her face.

Pale skin splattered with a few dark freckles. Big doe eyes, warmer than the coffee I'd been slowly sipping. Pulling her bottom lip between her teeth as she stacked a precarious tower of dishes to take to the back. I tore my stare away from her as she scurried past me, turning to catch a glance as she disappeared into the kitchen. That damn t shirt shrouded her figure as she pushed the swinging door open and turned the corner, but the way her hair bounced under her visor as she spun past. The air of something sweet that followed her. I could repent my whole life and never deserve to be in the same room as something so innocent.

Someday, after I'd dealt with this brainless gambler, I'd have to come back to this plain little town. But for now, I threw a couple bills on the counter, downed the rest of my coffee and left without a word.