2. Coffee?

Sophia

"Hey, I'm sorry to bother you but could we maybe meet for coffee today? I have a lot of questions." I sent the text so I couldn't overthink it anymore. I had written it twenty times and deleted it every time but now it was sent and... already read. Shit. I quickly threw my phone on the couch, scared of what his reaction could be. My mom looked at me and raised her eyebrow. "Did your phone catch fire, darling?", she asked letting a little laugh. I let out a big sigh when I heard the notification sound. "No, I met someone last night, who I just texted and I'm a little stressed about his response", I said pushing my phone further away from me. My mom's face lit up. "YOU MET SOMEONE? How exciting! What is he like?" I hadn't seen my mom this excited about me meeting someone in a long time. After losing Liam, I had been a little lonely, which made her worry a lot. Before I could answer my mom, we heard a loud bang upstairs followed by fast footsteps on the stairs. Charlotte stormed inside the living room and dropped next to me on the couch. "Excuse me, you met a guy and you were going to discuss this without me, your favorite sister?", she said looking at me as if I had just committed a crime.

"You're my only sister, weirdo", I said rolling my eyes at her comment. She laughed. "You don't know that for sure Soph." My mom gasped and threw her magazine at Charlotte. "Charlie, you can't say that. Apologize right now." My sister mumbled an apology to me before hugging me. I didn't mind her jokes about me being adopted. I found my peace with it very quickly. The family I ended up in was better than I could have ever wished for. My parents were amazing and I had a crazy but very sweet sister. Mom and dad adopted me because they couldn't have any children of their own and two years later, mom got pregnant with the miracle that it is now Charlotte. Two girls wasn't enough for dad so he got a female chocolate lab as well. Now Ellie, Charlie and I are the most important things in our parents' life.

"It's fine, Charlie. So I met a guy last night after I got into an argument with some friends and we danced all night. He walked me home and we talked the whole way here. He even asked for my number, which I gave, but neither of us made a move or anything. I don't mind that actually. I'm not ready for anything else anyway", I said feeling all excited again just by talking about it. Mom was smiling and nodding, already approving before having even met him. Charlie on the other hand was furrowing her eyebrows. "Doesn't he have a name? What does he look like?" I sighed. After what happened nine months ago she had to know every tiny detail. "Well, his name is Blaise. He's tall, muscled and very handsome. He has beautiful dark skin, deep brown eyes, nice curly hair. He can dance very well and he also likes reading", I answered my sister with a smile. She pretended to think about it, but I knew she already liked what she was hearing. "He sounds like a nice guy, Soph. You should read what he texted you", she said as she handed me my phone.

"Yeah, I'd love to. Want to meet in the city? In about an hour?" I got all nervous reading his reply. Nervous about seeing Blaise again but also for the things he could tell me. I didn't know if I was ready to know what was wrong with me, but I might never be. "Sounds good. At Blake's in Covent Garden?" Charlie who had been reading along over my shoulder, got up. "Well, he seems eager to meet you so maybe it isn't just as friends", she said walking back upstairs. My phone pinged again. "I'll see you there in an hour, love." Oh wow. Maybe my sister was right. I got up to get ready. I only had fifteen minutes anymore before I had to leave. Since it was still sunny out, I wanted to walk there instead of taking the tube.

I put on some dad jeans and an oversized navy turtle neck. Basic outfits were the best in my opinion. My black boots completed the outfit. I quickly did my make up, some mascara and eyeliner, and sprinted downstairs. "Mom, dad, I'm going for coffee with a friend!", I shouted grabbing my coat and purse and walking out the door. The sun was warm on my face and the feeling calmed my nerves a little. The music I was listening to helped as well. I tried thinking about how to start the conversation later with Blaise but after ten minutes I gave up and accepted that I would just have to see how it went.