Part 4

Chapter 4

A small group of people moved through the streets of Volantis. The streets of the First Daughter of Valyria were filled with slaves. Each of them wore chains around their necks, and their cheeks were marked to show their trade.

The small retinue rode top a palanquin mounted on an elephant, for the people of the city found it beneath them to walk on foot. The city's air was hot and humid, carrying in it the smells of the world, for the city was a cesspool of cultures where merchants and captains of the world gathered to trade their wares.

Inside the palanquin sat the red woman, seemingly calm and composed, yet her heart was a mess as she looked on at her God's chosen. The Prince Daemon sat opposite her, a cloak wrapped around him despite the heat, as he looked at the city around him distastefully.

His face was covered by the cloak, yet even then, she could glance at his face, which had scarred badly with the new skin growing haphazardly, making him unrecognizable.

She glanced out the window as their elephant came to a halt, on the outskirts of a massive building that was made out of fused stone, consisting of hundreds of towers, bridges, and buttresses that fused into one another.

"We are here," she announced as she got out of the palanquin as an elephant lowered itself to the ground, and wooden stairs were placed for her to come down. Rows of Red Priests stood in two columns; at there stood a man she recognized quite well.

His face, white as porcelain, marred only two flame tattoos on his cheeks. His head was shaven, and his stature was much taller and grander than all those around him.

"Do you have any idea what you have done, Melisandre?" he questioned as he glanced at her. She gulped down and didn't back down, but she replied resolutely.

"I have brought us the R'hllor's champion," she announced, and the High Priest of the Red Temple frowned as the Prince walked out of the palanquin, covered in a cloak.

She pointed towards him and spoke up.

"Besides me stands the one chosen by our God. Azor Azhai, the promised Prince, blessed by the Fire itself," she announced and saw Bennero's eyes tighten at the Prince.

"What makes you sure he is the one?" he questioned.

"I saw him walk out of a fire so hot that it would melt steel itself. He is the one," she announced.

"Yet he is scarred. The Fire did burn him," Bennero challenged, and she nodded.

"It did, yet only so he could be brought here to the Eternal Flame," she announced.

"You cannot mean!" Bennero gasped, as did someone standing around him, and she nodded.

"I do!" the High Priest then turned to face the Prince, his eyes narrow as he spoke up.

"Then so be it! Take him to the Eternal Flame!" then, before the Prince could react, he was surrounded by the Red Priest, who took him by the arms and then began to lead him to the Red Temple.

"Where are you taking me?" he questioned, and the reply came.

"To see if you truly are the Red God's champion!"

0000

DAEMON TARGARYEN

Never had a swing of his sword felt so satisfying than the one with which he slew his own father. A taboo, an act so heinous that he knew the history books would condemn him for it. They would have to condemn him for a lot though.