Part 10

Chapter 10

Starfall was somber. The castle, which had once been burnt by the dragons, was somber at the death of a Dragonborn. Or was it just her, she thought as she sat in her room atop the Eastern Tower along the raging shores of Torrentine. Its raging waves had dulled as well since that day, much like her world.

Many a moon had passed since that fateful day, and she had left the capital before it happened as per his wishes. After hearing the rumors about the events which had occurred after her departure, she could understand why he had made her promise to leave the capital, for she wasn't sure that she would have been able to hold herself back from ending her own life if she had heard the screams which now haunted her brothers' sleep.

He had come once a moon after the fight, riding to the place of his birth, and she had seen the effect it all had taken on him. The once pride of Starfall had withered. His eyes had sunken in and had lost the glint she had seen in them since their birth. They had not met, for despite her knowing better, despite Daemon not blaming him. Ashara couldn't bring herself to sit face-to-face with him. And then he had departed, just as soon, yet without his greatest treasure. He had left Dawn back home, the sword for which he had spent hours and hours in the yard every day since the day he could hold a tourney blade in his hand, his greatest treasure abandoned.

They weren't the only ones affected, though. The Queen had supposedly tried to kill herself, her attempt unsuccessful, and since then, she had been locked in her room by the 'Mad King.' King Aerys's new epithet was quite accurate for the man, and despite his actions, he remained surrounded by lickspittles and conniving lords who either wanted to further themselves or feared that they would be the ones to burn next.

The burnings had become common as well. The King's preference for burning criminals with wildfire had won him little respect and favour yet enough fear to keep the lords in tow. But for how long, she wondered. 'Fear is a useful but fickle tool,' he would often say when she would object to his kindness, as he would mingle and integrate himself with the lords and common folk alike. Yet he was gone now, and only the time they had spent together remained.

And oh so little it was.

Rumors had already sprung up around her, that she carried his child, that she was scorned by him, and many other stories that an idle mind could drum up. And a part of her wished that one of them had been the truth, that she had with herself a memento of his, yet alas it was too late.

A small whisper often erupted in her heart whenever she looked out the giant balcony into the waters ahead. All it would take was a step. One step, and she could end it all. Yet she couldn't. A part of her willed her to continue, willed her enough not to take that ste...

"AGHH!AGHHH!" she began to cough up suddenly as the fire in her room began to dwindle, an ominous presence filled her room as pain ripped through her. Pain enough to make her vision blur.

Her breath hitched as a vision erupted in her head, of eyes. Of his eyes, that amethyst purple she had often found herself getting lost into, surrounded by fire as she fell off the chair and onto the ground, gasping for air as pain tore up her insides.

'Suffer! Suffer!' the words began to repeat inside her head, and she was in so much pain that she didn't hear the door to her room open, and the last thing she saw were another pair of eyes, eyes amethyst in colour, though this one similar to her own as little Allyria's screams filled her ears.

"HELP!!! HELP!"

0000

STANNIS BARATHEON