Part 6

Chapter 6

A Trial by Fire, a test of courage for those who had dedicated their lives to R'hllor. Many had asked for it over the years, some as a test of their devotion and some even as a bluff.

Yet the latter had soon learned of their folly.

The priests gathered and sang praises of their lord as the preparations for the ceremony were finished. Hundreds of her fellow followers loomed over the main chambers, lit up by over a thousand flames, the largest of them said to have been burning away for centuries, famously called the Great Flame.

The fire burnt red hot, on a massive platform a hundred steps above ground. She herself was only a few steps away from it, singing praises for their one true God, as Benerro stood a mere step away from the Great Fire, and alongside him stood the person undergoing the Great Trial, Prince Daemon.

Clad in a simple white robe, she could see him looking into the fire with his amethyst eyes. She had seen many go through the trial, she had seen eyes filled with fear, reverence, hubris sometimes even contempt.

Yet his were filled with defiance. And rage.

Benerro raised his hand, thrusting it close to the fire, as he took out a knife, and then as they all quieted down, leaving only the sound of flickering flames, he cut the Prince's hand, and she didn't miss how his face didn't even shift at the wound as his blood dripped into the Great Flame.

"Oh, Great Lord of Fire, Judge, this man, for we seek your wisdom!"

And then it happened, the flames roared! All the priests lowered their gaze, and she felt a force push down on her spine, yet she didn't resist as she let it control her, let it bask her in the warmth as she lowered her gaze and let herself prostrate infront of their lord.

"I refuse," the whisper reached her ears, and she felt the fires in the room flicker, the warmth turning into searing heat as the pressure on her became more severe.

"I refuse," she heard it again as her heart thumped in her chest.

With all her might she pushed her gaze up, her skin burned as she looked up and found the Prince standing infront of the Great Fame which roared

With all her might, she pushed her gaze up, her skin burned as she looked up and found the Prince standing infront of the Great Flame which roared in rage and mockery as the whole temple lay prostrate, except him.

The Flame roared once more, inching closer to the roof, the Prince was now covered in sweat, his clothes burnt once more, yet he remained standing looking ahead.

"I refuse!" he said through gritted teeth, thrice now, and she felt the pressure on her back so much that she felt it would crack; her hands shook now as the seat covered her from head to toe.

'No' she thought as the Prince stood there and the Flames shifted.

'No' she thought as they rose once more, yet this time with much more fervour and in a much different colour as they enveloped the Prince, forcing even Benerro to back off.

"No," she gasped out as she felt a dark wraith escape out of the fire, its skin nothing but shadows, its form that of a woman.

This was irregular. For if the Gods had judged him to be unworthy, he would have been burnt. Yet the Prince still stood, surrounded by Fire of a dark and ominous colour, aflame yet not burnt.

And then she suddenly felt a heavy presence in the temple, as she felt the red ruby around her neck burn her skin as the very ground shook, and the lights flickered out, as she felt a thundering voice.