Chapter IV

After the long discussion between Tony and Bucky we returned home, I didn't realize I had disappeared for so long...it's six in the evening and I left home this morning at ten...they were right to be worried . I stay in the room all evening, I'm not hungry, in fact I avoid going to dinner, my stomach would reject any type of food just thinking about having to listen to Bucky's story of his day with that girl for an hour. Steve tries to knock several times during the evening, to call me to eat, to bring me food, to ask me if everything was okay... I didn't answer him every time, leaving him knocking for minutes on end, I feel like shit , and he would do well to think that I am.

"Alice...it's still me...Can you open? I just want to talk" Here it is Steve again, he knows that what Bucky did this morning hurt me, he knows well that I will be like this for a while and he knows very well that when I'm like this I don't want to talk to anyone, but he always tries ...he always comes to talk to me, even if it means conversing with a white door.

"Steve go watch football with Sam" I say taking one earbud off my ear to hear if he answers

"No, I want to talk to you...about that thing, I can't shout from behind a door, he's in the next room..."Now, can you open the door? I know you don't want to talk to anyone, but if you do it will be better..."

"Please, Steve, I'm busy, tomorrow I have a mission with Bucky and I'm already pissed off, imagine if you remind me that I have to collaborate with him!" I scream, then I hear him sigh, his steps move slowly towards the living room, he's gone. I put my headphones back on and lie down in bed to listen to my favorite playlist, out of nowhere the song stops and the phone starts to vibrate, I quickly check who's calling me: it's Tony.

"Hello? Tony?" I ask as soon as I answer the call, who knows why he called me at this time... Has the mission been compromised?

"Darling? can you hear me?" His deep voice in my headphones asks me

"Yes, yes I can hear you...what happened?" I say pretending I didn't hear how he called me

"Nothing...nothing...don't worry" he begins, I can hear from the way he speaks that he is smiling into the phone

"What's up? Come on, I know you too well...don't lie" 

"Nothing, really...I was just looking at the stars and...and they reminded me of you"

"You're so sweet tonight you're giving me diabetes, Tony" I say giggling, it's really strange...he's never called me without a real reason...then to tell me these things... He laughs too, then silence falls, I sit on the bottom of the bed, waiting for his response... I'm afraid I've offended him in some way...

"From my living room window I can see the moon, it's beautiful, isn't it?"  

"I don't think I can see it...from my room"

"If you don't even look out the window to see, how can you know?"

"Ok ok, I'm going, but I don't promise you anything, I don't live in a gigantic villa on a cliff" I get out of bed smiling and run towards the large window of my room, I look out with my headphones still in my ears which make me hear his breathing which is getting heavier and heavier. He was right. The moon is clearly visible in all its beauty from here... "God it's beautiful...but how did you know I could see it from here?"

"Not all the brightest stars shine high in the sky" I don't understand what he means, in fact a big silence falls before he continues "If you don't look at the star..." I hear his voice, but not from the headphones, I hear it coming from below, in fact I see Tony arriving with his boots with the thrusters of Iron Man's armor, he approaches my window with his cell phone placed to his ear, until he rests his arms on the small windowsill "Then the star will be watching you"

"Tony!Are you completely crazy?" I ask laughing, then move to let him in "If they hear you they'll kill me"   

"Oh, don't worry... I'm used to entering the rooms of beautiful girls secretly" he tells me smiling, then winks at me before continuing "Even if those three men over there worry me more than the fathers of the girls in high school"

“If Bucky were to see you, I don't think he'd stop at words this time" I laugh, hugging him to welcome him

"Speaking of Bucky..." He starts continuing to hug me, then breaks away to finish  "Sorry about today...I shouldn't have responded to the provocations, I acted like a kid"

“Did you really come here for this?” 

"yes...but also for..."

"Alice? It's me, Bucky, can you open up?" Bucky Barnes' voice rings from behind the door

"Fuck...sorry, you have to go" I say helping him out the window 

"Yes...yes I think it's time to go..." He replies walking out reactivating his boots

"Tony, in a few days I'm going to sing in a club, are you coming? "

"Yes, how could I miss it?" He says and starts going down to the car

"Tony..."

"Yes?"

"Good night"

"Good night, darling" Tony greets me, then comes back and gives me a caress on the cheek, I reciprocate with a kiss on his cheek, then he leaves. I run to the door and open it, Bucky is still there in front, with his gray pants and his black tank top.

"What is it?" I ask looking at the floor

"Look at me" he says lifting my face with two fingers under my chin "Can I come in?"

"Hurry up, I'm sleepy, we have the mission tomorrow"

"I don't think you're sleepy, I heard you talking on the phone"

"Are you spying on me now?”

"Can you just listen to me and not respond to shit for once?! You've been treating me like this for two weeks, why?"

"Sorry...I didn't realise" I lie

“Is this for Liz?”

"No why should I?" I lie again

"So can you stop treating me like an asshole every time I come near?!"

"Stop screaming"

"Yes...Yes...sorry...but if you treat me like that you make me remember when...when I was really a monster" He tells me, covering his face with his hands and lying down in bed 

"If you do like today...if you do like today, you'll go back to being like when Hydra controlled you...you were two monsters bleeding blood on each other"

"You...you're right...that's why I came..."  He tells me inviting me to sit next to him "It's just that... we're not on very good terms and... and I try to deal with him civilly because he's your friend and I want you to be happy"

"I understand you... I didn't make your life easier by running away and going to him... without telling you anything" I say, I only now realize what a real fool I was in not telling anyone anything about where I was...

"I was afraid something had happened to you... I didn't know what I could have done... how I could have reacted..."

"The important thing is that it doesn't happen again, okay?"

"Okay, I promise Bucket" I say using the nickname he hates so much, he makes a fake face of annoyance and then laughs, getting up, gives me a kiss on the head and goes towards the door 

"Don't do anything stupid 'till I get back"

"How could I? you're taking all the stupid with you"