Chapter V

"Alice? Alice, is everything okay now?" Bucky asks me as he adjusts the bandage on my ribs "Are you able to breathe well? You didn't have a punctured lung, did you?"

"Don't worry" I say coughing a little due to the pain in my fractured rib "It happens, I'm used to it by now"

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have left you in the fray to chase the boss" He says adding some medicine to the painful area of my torso

"No, you did well, in a few minutes I knocked them all out! You should have seen how they were screaming!" I laugh, pretending to fight the air

"They didn't do you any good either." He says, pointing to the large bruise on my torso

"Side effects" I say smiling

"You really are a psychopath...how can you laugh about the fact that you have a fractured rib?"

"The often recognized serial murderer speaks"

"You know I'm not"

"I know" I say getting out of bed "I also know that you go to eat pizza with Liz, what's your problem? You never come with me!"

"You know it disgusts me..."

"But...?" I ask, then I finish the sentence on my own "She likes it too much so you're going"

"Yes...I think that if I don't die tomorrow I won't die again" he says, also getting up "So are you better? Can you stand?"

"Yes yes, it doesn't hurt anymore" I say, lowering my shirt, then I take a sweatshirt and put it on "Steve and Sam are waiting for us, hurry up"

"We should test your reflexes with pain" He says, but before I can process he tries to throw a punch at me, but I block him, making him fall to the ground. He gets up laughing, as always nothing has happened to himself "As always...you have reflexes but not power"

"Easy to talk to with a metal arm" I say punching the robotic arm, then I run away from the room, going to sit at the table with Sam and Steve. I thought he would follow me, or rather, that he would come with me to the table, but no, I hear him talking on the phone with that Liz. Not even eating in peace anymore who has to talk to that one... Maybe Steve is right, I have to find a distraction, maybe a distraction that is a genius, millionaire, playboy, philanthropist...But he can't just be a distraction... something like that, to pass the time... he deserves more. I'll leave it to fate, if we are even made to hang out, a sign will come to us, won't it?

"Alice? ohhhh, are you there?" Steve asks me, shaking me a little while he eats, then continues almost annoyed "My God, are you enchanted now?"

"Oh, no, sorry, I was thinking...the rib, it still hurts a little" I lie, but I don't give him the satisfaction "What is it?"

“Really, girl, I've been calling you for ten minutes!” Sam tells me annoyed

"Then tell me what's the matter instead of complaining" I say grumpily, he doesn't deserve it, but I'm used to treating him like this now, my poor Sam

"It's a letter, it arrived in the mail box this morning" Sam starts handing me the envelope, I don't understand at first, then I recognize the writing on the outside of the envelope... but no, it can't be him "I think you should read it"

"I have a vague idea who sent it to you...unfortunately" He tells me crossing his arms and leaning back in his chair Steve

"No...It can't be Tony" I say in disbelief, I know it's him, that's the writing, Steve's annoyed tone of voice matches the one he used when he told me about the distraction...It's definitely him