『 5 』 My New Friend, The Brachiosaurus

❝ It's a Veggiesaurus, Lex

It's a Veggiesaurus, Lex. A Veggiesaurus!
ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : Kids In America - Kim Wilde
1:35 ──────── 3:47
II
ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

WHEN I OPEN MY EYES, A Brachiosaurus is right at our feet, eating from the leaves. I gasp and tap Dr. Grant on the shoulder, who is asleep. He opens his eyes and looks at me and I point to the gentle giant. He looks at it and smiles. At that moment, Lex wakes up and instantly is afraid and climbs to a higher branch. Tim wakes up too as the Brachio reaches for another leaf.

"GO AWAY!!!" Lex screams at it.

"It's okay! It's okay! It's a brachiosaur!" Dr. Grant tries to calm her down.

"It's a Veggiesaurus, Lex. A Veggiesaurus!" Tim reminds her.

"My favorite remember?" I smile not taking my eyes off the beautiful creature in front of me.

"A Veggie." Lex whispers to herself.

"Come on. Come on, girl. Come on." Tim imitates the call they make.

"Come on. Come on, baby." Dr. Grant grabs a big branch with leaves on it and offers it to the Brachio. It makes a honking noise that startles us, but Dr. Grant keeps the branch out. I grab the end too as she grans the end of the branch, starting a tug of war.

"I'm not letting go!" Dr. Grant strains, me and him still holding on. It rips some leaves off and starts chewing on them. Me and Tim hold out our hands and pet her. Shes cold, and definitely nothing like I felt ever before. This is so surreal, I never thought I'd be able to ever see a Brachio in person, let alone in touch one.

"It looks like it has a cold." I point out. Its nostril looks red and tender and like its been sneezing a lot.

"Yeah. Maybe." He notices what I pointed out.

"Can I touch it?" Lex looks interested at the gentle giant thats still chewing on the leaves.

"Sure. Just think of it as kind of a big cow." Dr. Grant pets it again. Tim giggles and I give her another pet.

"I like cows." Lex smiles trying to comfort herself. The dinosaurs head moves away from the group. Lex nervously moved to the edge of the green holding out her hand.

"Come on, girl. Come on up here, girl. Come on. Up here!" Lex stretches out her hand as far as it can go. The Brachiosaurus suddenly sneezes. It's a pretty big sneeze, and Lex is dripping wet from head to toe in mucus. She is frozen with horror.

"God bless you!" Tim yells out to her. Lex just stares in shock. The Brachio moves away and I wave her off as she ventures for more leaves. Dr. Grant suggests we keep moving to try to get back to the others so we descend the tree. Lex was not happy about the dinosaur sneeze but we keep making fun of her so that definitely didn't help.

"You two be nice..." Dr. Grant says, getting down the tree first. He helps us all down one by one, me being last because Im still nervous about trees.

"Yuck!" Lex still haunted by the fact she was sneezed on by a dinosaur.

"Oh, great. Now she'll never try anything new. She'll sit in her room and never come out and play on her computer." Tim shakes his head. The two start to argue and I try to break it up when I realize Dr. Grant isnt walking with us anymore.

"I'm a hacker!" Lex exclaims.

"That's what I said! You're a nerd." Timmy says. They always argue about this but Timmy has never stopped calling her a nerd since she got a computer.

"I am not a computer nerd! I prefer to be called a hacker!" She corrects him.

"Oh god." Dr. Grant holds up an egg shell. Tim and Lex finally notice that Dr. Grant is no longer following us, and come back. "You know what this is? It's a dinosaur egg. The dinosaurs are breeding." He says. Grandpa said the dinosaurs were all girls but, of course. Nature found a way, they evolved.

"But... my grandpa said all the dinosaurs were girls." Timmy asks innocently.

"Amphibian DNA." Dr. Grant said, looking at all of the empty eggshells. I nod in agreement.

"What's that?" Lex asks curiously.

"Well, on the tour, the film said they used frog DNA to fill in the gene sequence gaps. They mutated the dinosaurs' genetic code and blended it with that of frogs. Some species of West African frog are known to spontaneously change sex from male to female in a single-sex environment. Malcolm was right. Look." Dr. Grant laughs, pointing at the little dinosaur footprints leading away from the nest.

"Life found a way." He chuckles. I pick up and eggshell and inspect it. The little footprints lead far away and it makes me wonder what kind of dinosaur this was. Dr. Grant said we continue on and he leads us forward.

823 words! ive always wondered what animal bred there