Snake

I must say, Cub is definitely an enigma. I know almost nothing about the boy. When he first came to Brecon Beacons around a year ago I didn't really think much of it. I thought he looked too young to be here, but I have been in the SAS long enough to know looks can be deceiving. He was quiet, and didn't cause any trouble. He sure had a lip though. When he was given the chance his sarcasm was unlike anything I had ever seen in someone. Not that I would ever tell Wolf, but I thought it was quite funny that he was getting all riled up by the boy's comments. I won't lie and say I didn't mind having the kid in our unit. If he really is the age he looks then he has no place in the SAS, and certainly doesn't have the right to be as skilled as he is. K-unit had the theory that he was sent by his rich father to set his behaviour straight or something, because why else would he be there? Cub certainly left an impression on us though, especially considering he was only there for just over a week. I am well aware we treated the boy unfairly, but can you blame us? It can really hurt a man's pride seeing a kid do something almost just as well as you, after all the work you put into being that skilled. Of course the kid still made his mistakes, which worried me. There was no way K-unit was getting binned because of a literal child. I guess we could have been more hospitable. He clearly didn't want to be there any more than we wanted him there. After the boy left I never expected to see him again, but now I can't help but think how wrong we all were. This boy has seen far too much, that much is obvious now. He certainly isn't the son of some rich man. A sense of failure washes over me as I patch up the bleeding boy in front of me. I don't know how this boy got into this situation, but I am determined to help him get out of it.