Chapter 12 - White Horse

And there you are on your knees

Begging for forgiveness, begging for me

Just like I always wanted but I'm so sorry

'Cause I'm not your princess, this ain't a fairytale

I'm gonna find someone someday who might actually treat me well

-White Horse, Taylor Swift

She stood there with her mouth hanging open. When she finally got her nerves back, she shouted, "What the hell is this game, Ian?"

Instead of answering, he just smiled.

"Haven't you realized what you just ruined? It's Alex's birthday and we're just celebrating it until you came and ruined my whole plan!"

His smiled widened. "I succeeded then."

"You mor- Wait... Good Lord! Have you been drinking?" She asked as she noticed that there was a slight change in his accent and that he smelt weird. What had happened to her Ian? Why has everything changed so abruptly? Why?

"Does it even matter to you now?" He said bitterly. "You're always hanging around that ass."

"Well, of course I have! He's my boyfriend, for Pete's sake! And don't call him that." She snapped.

"But it should've been me, right? Maybe you can still change your mind?" He sounded hopeful. "I'm sure that – that ring means nothing, right?" He continued as he pointed the promise ring that Alex had just given her.

"Are you crazy? C'mon. I'll bring you home. I'll deal with you when you have your brain back."

"Why do you have to choose him? You could've waited." He choked.

"I will not take you seriously. You're just drunk." She muttered more to herself than to Ian.

"I know you still love me," Ian continued like he did not notice her flinch on each of his word. "I can feel it. You just have to ditch that stupid bastard so we can start again."

If he was planning to get into her skin, he had finally done it. Nina put her hands on her hips. "What the fvck is your problem Ian? If you think I didn't notice how you keep on pestering us and ruining our plans, then you are wrong! I'm not that thick. It's not my fault that that bitch – Nicole left you. And if you want to ruin our lives just because yours is ruined too, I've got a couple of words: FVCK OFF!"

Ian, who seemed oblivious to her obvious wrath, just smirked. "You don't really get it, do you?"

"Of course I don't get it! All I know is that you have gone mad and-"

"I'M JEALOUS!" He roared. "I'm fvcking jealous Nina! Everytime I see you in his arms, everytime I see the two of you, I just get, I don't know. Jealous might not even be enough to describe how I feel! I detest myself for letting you go. It should've been me." His voice broke.

Nina, who worked very hard to feign an I'm-totally-over-Ian attitude, fought hard to restrain the feelings that were surging within her. In the end though, she gave up fighting and settled to deal with her emotions one at a time.

"And you're doing this because you are jealous? Well, to tell you honestly, I have been jealous too! Longer than you have thought. But did I do something against you? No. I never did. That's what love is Ian. If you really love someone, you'll try and make them happy. You won't ruin their lives for them."