Gone

"Connor! Connor-fuck-watch-the-car!" Hank's knuckles were white as he gripped the handle by his head. Thank fuck he'd remembered to buckle his seatbelt! He didn't even remember the last time he'd driven his car this fast. It was surprising the old girl could still manage it. They'd just been getting ready to leave for work when Connor got the call. His LED had spun yellow then red, hazel eyes wide in disbelief. He'd barely told him that Gavin was gone before grabbing the keys and rushing out the door. Hank had followed with demands to know what he meant. Gavin couldn't just be gone! They had no time to argue. Niles had already left to catch the school bus, so Hank had followed and climbed into the passenger's seat. Connor had been driving at full speed the moment he'd left the driveway, lights and sirens blaring. Hank rarely used them. This was his personal vehicle, and as a homicide detective, he didn't take part in high-speed chases that often.

Connor could barely focus on what he was saying. His jaw was tense, brow furrowed as he jerked the wheel and swerved around the car that almost pulled into them. His connection to Nines had been reduced to static. He wasn't sure whether there was something wrong with their connection or if Nines was just so stressed he couldn't communicate. He clicked his tongue as he saw two cars up ahead that were too close for him to slip between. Hank yelped and threw a hand on the dash as he hit the brakes to slow them down.

"Connor! Where the fuck did you learn to drive? You're going to kill somebody! Probably me!" Hank was beyond exasperated as he sat back. His heart was racing as he panted, stress lowering a little since they'd slowed to a more reasonable speed. He understood Connor's urgency, but Christ, these were busy streets and it was early morning! Kids were going to school! He couldn't help the lump that formed in his throat at the thought. Connor's LED span between red and yellow as he gripped the wheel. He knew Hank was right, but Nines was his brother, and Gavin was his friend. They were two of the most important people in his life. "I know you're worried, but we're less than ten minutes away now."

"I-I know, but my connection to Nines is...unstable. I'm worried." He didn't need to tell him that. It was obvious from looking at his face. If he were human, he would have been pale. A jittering wreck. As an android, he still had control of his faculties. One of the cars turned off and Connor surged forward, though he kept his speed a little more reasonable than before. They were entering the busier parts of the city now, and traffic was getting heavier. The siren was letting them through, but it was still slow with all the extra cars on the road.

"Here, pull over and get out. I'll park underground and meet you up there," Hank urged as they reached the Plaza. Connor gave him a warm look as he parked the car and got out right by the main doors of The Maple Hotel. He didn't look back to see Hank circle round to the driver's side. He had to get to Nines. Entering the hotel at a dead run, he looked around reception for an available staff member. Roland was there. He'd met him while setting up the party for Nines a few weeks ago. He'd been most helpful, letting them use the lift and helping to take things up to the penthouse.

"Connor, it's good to see you again. Are you here to see Nines?" Roland asked politely as he walked over. His expression pinched a little as he realised Connor's stressed state. He looked panicked; LED spinning yellow as he hurried over. His clothes were neat, but his tie was a little crooked from all the rushing around. Connor nodded stiffly as he straightened it. It was a shame they were meeting again under such circumstances.

"Yes, I need to get up to the penthouse. It's an emergency!" Roland's eyes widened a little at that and he turned professional immediately, leading the way to the elevators. He swiped Connor in and pressed the top floor. Not having seen Nines or Gavin that morning, he assumed they were both up there. Connor didn't correct him, but he thanked him politely and informed him that Hank and the FBI would join him shortly. Mention of the FBI had Roland looking even more concerned.