The Unwitting Spy

Nines cradled Pipsqueak as the five of them sat in a meeting room at the DPD. He hadn't felt content leaving him in the penthouse alone so soon after Gavin's disappearance, and they needed him for what was to come. Pipsqueak didn't know or comprehend the details, but he did know that Nines, and everyone else, was distressed. He'd also noted Gavin's absence, though he wasn't surprised he was gone. He'd seen him leave, but he was beginning to worry that he hadn't returned. It had been many hours since Nines had woken up. Since then, Pipsqueak had been manhandled and interfaced with at varying intervals. Eventually, he'd wriggled free of Colin's gentle arms and hidden up on the walkways in the bar, hissing down at him resentfully.

They'd granted him a reprieve of sorts as Connor and Nines went about their work. They gathered the camera footage and walked the scene, speaking out loud for Hank and Perkins' benefit. Colin had told Nines about Pipsqueak, and that he believed he'd been used as both an espionage and communication device. Pipsqueak had remained wary as Nines approached. He'd already been prodded and probed multiple times and didn't want to be manhandled further. His tail fluffed and flicked as Nines looked up and spoke with a gentle voice, coaxing him down as he always did. Pipsqueak had mewled his distress as he'd hopped down into Nines' waiting arms to butt and nuzzle for comfort.

Nines had hushed and cradled him, offering an interface. He would not abuse the trust he'd built with Pipsqueak. He would not force an interface to remove data by force. Pipsqueak had been further stressed by Nines' silent despair. He'd urgently writhed to get his paws on Nines' larger shoulders so he could nose and rub his cheek. Nines had felt somewhat embarrassed and confused that Pipsqueak's affection had resulted in a fresh wave of saline running down his cheeks. Connor was sensitive, quietly leading him out to the patio while Colin dealt with damage control inside, keeping Perkins and Hank occupied. Connor didn't doubt the two humans noticed. They were experienced investigators. They also respected Nines enough to give him his space.

Connor had remained a supportive and comforting presence, sitting at his side and rubbing circles on his back, and Pipsqueak had continued to mewl his comfort and support. He'd initiated interface after interface, sharing his own worries and offering what comfort he could. Eventually, he'd even allowed Nines to interface with him on a deeper level, as Colin had attempted earlier. The difference was the bond of trust they already shared. Pipsqueak had patiently curled up in Nines' lap and allowed him to view what data remained stored from the night before.

It wasn't the same as data from a humanoid android. Pipsqueak's data was simple, like time stamps. Nines noticed the outside interference as a string of complicated numbers. Pipsqueak's systems had been hacked early in the evening. Nines felt violated as he noted that he'd entered the bedroom during their lovemaking. The Hickory Killer had used Pipsqueak like a voyeur to watch them writhe beneath the sheets. He was horrified. He hadn't even considered it were possible. Why would he? Pet models were so primitive, it never crossed his mind that someone would or could do such a thing. Pipsqueak was only designed to receive updates. The Hickory Killer must have fabricated a virus to mimic an update in order to make a two-way connection possible. But how did he even gain access to Pipsqueak to implant the software in the first place?

He'd told Connor instantly, which is when they'd returned to the precinct. Pipsqueak's systems would need to be thoroughly scanned, which would require specialised equipment. There were few people he'd trust with Pipsqueak's welfare. Many would naturally put Gavin's life above a simple pet model and risk damaging his simpler software while extracting the information. It seemed Connor understood and shared his view to an extent. He'd already made a call to Chloe by the time they left the penthouse.

"Can't you just...copy the data?" Perkins asked curiously as they waited. He and Colin were sitting across from Nines, who was still cradling Pipsqueak in his arms. Pipsqueak trilled as he noted Perkins' hand gesturing towards him. His ears flicked curiously as he rolled and reached his paws across to bat the hand playfully. Nines was somewhat surprised as Perkins huffed and left his hand there, allowing Pipsqueak to bat and paw his worn skin. He didn't even withdraw as Pipsqueak got close enough to nip with gentle teeth. Colin watched with interest. It seemed this was a new side to Perkins that no one had seen before. Nines was further surprised as Pipsqueak wriggled his way onto the table and moved to mewl and purr at Perkins as he teased his ears.