Two Truths, One Lie

Deeya's bruised body lay on the cold floor.
Arjun woke up breathless, his heart pounding loudly. He looked at the watch, 4:00 a.m. Arjun looked at Deeya, alive, breathing. I can't see. He held his head between his hands as the vein on his forehead throbbed. He looked up, feeling a hand on his shoulder. “Rosh?”
“Tum thik ho?” She whispered.
Arjun sighed. He was beginning to sweat, in an air-conditioned room.
“Bahar chalte hai, tumhe better feel hoga.”
He nodded, glancing at Deeya before walking out with Roshni towards the gallery. The chilly morning air brushed against his face. Roshni held his hand, caressing it gently. Arjun took slow, deep breaths to calm his racing heart. The subtle jasmine fragrance enveloped them in the tranquil atmosphere. They stood in silence, Arjun placed his head on her shoulder.  “I am scared, Roshni.” He whispered. Roshni stroked his hair, comforting him.
“Ye sab meri galti hai.” His voice was shaky. “Mujhe Deeyu ko aise akele nahi chhodna chahiye tha. Agar usse kuch ho jata toh main kya karta.”
Roshni held him in embrace.

Deeya lay in a pool of blood.
Yash had his chance.
Sir, ek hafte pehle Yash ne ek ladki ke sath club gaya tha aur wo aaj bhi lapata hai.

The flashes of his nightmare, bartender's confession and the  information by Chotu spun in his head. As Deeya's face came to his mind, Arjun's tears began to flow uncontrollably, his body shaking with the weight of his fears and regrets. Roshni held him tighter, offering him a shoulder to cry on. She whispered soothing words, assuring him that everything would be okay.
"Shh... It's alright, Arjun," Roshni murmured softly, wiping away his tears. “Arjun, right now our priority is Deeya, her health and safety. Deeya is safe with us, and we'll make sure her culprits are punished. Let's wait for her to tell us what actually happened."
Arjun buried his face in Roshni's embrace, finding solace in her warmth and understanding. He let out all his pent-up emotions, allowing himself to be vulnerable in front of her. Roshni continued to hold him, her presence a source of strength and comfort amidst his turmoil.
"We'll get through this together," Roshni whispered, pressing a gentle kiss on Arjun's forehead. "I promise.”
~

Morning.
Roshni and Arjun sat beside Deeya.
“Deeya,” Roshni held her hand. “Club mein kya hua tha, bataogi?”
Deeya fidgeted with the IV tube. “On the dance floor I felt a bit lonely, so I went to have a drink. Also there was this brat who wouldn't stop talking to me. I had half the drink and it felt off. So I went to the washroom and tried to throw up.” She took a deep breath. “I tried but couldn't. Like my body felt numb and dizzy. And I felt someone came there and hold m-me. I froze for a moment and then pushed him off. Then I think I walked outside. I don't remember much, it was very hazy.”
“Do you remember his face, name, anything?” Arjun asked.
“No. I don't think so.”

~
In the dimly lit interrogation room. The air is thick with tension. Riya and Chotu sit across from Sumit, who is Yash’s close friend.
Riya, leaning forward. “Sumit, we need answers. Yash is dead, and we’re running out of time.”
Sumit looked at the two, “I know nothing.”
“Is that why you were running away to Indonesia?” Chotu asked sternly.
“That vacation was planned months ago.” Sumit answered.
“Your bestfriend dies and you go off for a vacation?” Riya looked at him with disgust.
“I- I was scared when I saw his dead-body. I couldn’t think of anything so I went home and locked myself in my room. I couldn’t believe he was gone. When my group reminded me of the vacation, I thought it would be a good break.”
“What, exactly, did you see?” Riya asked.
Sumit, nervously. “I know who killed him, madam.”
“Go on.”
Sumit said with a trembling voice. “It’s that girl, Yash was after. She was very feisty and didn’t really pay attention to either of us. When Yash went to talk to her, she ignored him first. But then…”
Riya asked. “Then what?”
Sumit: “She asked him to follow her. He went towards the stall with her and I followed them as I didn’t feel good. She lured him in and killed him in cold blood. She's a very dangerous woman, underneath that lovely face lies a cold blooded murderer. She walked off like nothing happened, leaving my best friend dead. I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see it happen.”
Riya, scribbling notes. “Why didn’t you report it?”
Sumit, still trembling. “I was scared.. I thought she’d come after me since Yash was gone and I saw her do it. So, I hid and ran away.”
“I hope,” Chotu leaned ahead. “All that you said just now is true, otherwise, you will have no place to run or hide.” 
“I’m not lying sir. Please trust me.”