The Moment of Truth

About an hour later, Riya reached the ETF. Shree looked at her entering her cubicle and followed her as something felt off.
“Ri!” He greeted her with a smile which turned into a frown as he saw her swollen eyes and red nose. “Kya hua?”
“Kuch nahi.” She put her bag aside.
“Bata na!” He nudged her side.
Riya took a deep breath and sat on the chair. “I met Arjun sir's wife. She- she's so pretty, bold and beautiful. Of course sir doesn't look at me or anyone else. Why would he? I've been so stupid. Why did I get a crush on him.”
“That's sad but why didn't we know about it? Maana ke humne 6 mahine pehle hi ETF join kiya hai but batana chahiye tha na sir ne.” Shree pouted.
“I don't know what reason he has but hoga kuchh.. nevermind. There's something else that's bothering me more.”
“Kya hua?” Chotu walked in. “Tu Deeya ka statement lene gayi thhi na.”
“Haan.” Riya nodded. “Sir ne bola tha ki unn drugs ki wajah se uski tabiyat thik nahi hai but abhi main gayi toh, wo bilkul thik thi. Thodi weakness lag rahi thi chehre pe, but she looked fine. What's bothering me is her statement. She's clearly leaving out important details.” She pulled out her tablet and played the audio recording.
“Iss ko sunn kar ek baat toh clear hai,” Shree pondered. “Kuchh toh chhoot raha hai.” He rubbed his fingers imitating Arjun.
“Shree!” Riya chided him. “Let's go to the conference room and discuss. Sir bhi aate hi honge.”

The trio settled in their chairs and Sameer walked, greeting them. “Hello team! How have you been?”
“We are good sir. How was your trip?” Chotu asked.
Riya looked at the chief, he looked happier than usual. Her eyes fell in his hand, a plain diamond ring on it. “Congratulations on your engagement, sir!”
“Engagement?” Sameer frowned, looking at his hand. “Oh no, this is my wedding ring. I forgot to take it off.”
“Matlab aapki bhi shaadi ho gayi hai? Hume ye pata hi nahi tha.” Shree pouted.
“Meri bhi? Aur kiski huyi hai?” Sameer looked at the three who looked just as confused.
“Arjun sir?” Riya said, her voice was doubtful.
Sameer chuckled, “Who told you that?”
Riya looked at him, trying to understand what was happening. “I went to his house and met his wife.”
“Who?”
Riya felt that Sameer was probably teasing her. “Sir, Deeya introduced her, umm Roshni, as Mrs. Arjun Rawte.
Sameer chuckled again, “Of course! Bola hoga usne, ye meri bhabhi hai.” He imitated her tone.
Riya’s eyes widened. “That's exactly what she said. Aapko kaise pata?”
“She's been saying it for two years. Lekin ye dono pata nahi kis muhurat ke intezar mei hai.”
“Rathore? Tum kab aaye?” Arjun walked in, greeting his buddy.
“Thodi der pehle. How's everything?”
“Not good.” Arjun said.
Sameer patted his back, “We'll get through it, together.” he assured. “Chotu, do cutting mangwa do.” Sameer sat down, scrutinising the case files.

About an hour later, after going through the case details the ETF team sat together to discuss their theories.
“Sir,” Shree began, “I feel this has something to do with the drugs. Like, the people Yash has been getting his drugs from, might have felt that he's being a liability and tried to kill him off, maybe through the bartender or through Sumit. Might be a third person entirely but drugs are involved.” He paused for a moment. “Or, Yash was planning to expose his friends and they killed him before he could do that.”
“Seems plausible.” Sameer thought out loud. Arjun nodded.
“Sumit ne hi Yash ko maara ho, iska chance toh mujhe bhi lag raha hai.” Chotu added. “Even during his interrogation, he was giving answers jaise wo ratt ke aaya ho, use pata hai ki kis sawal ka kya jawab dena hai,” he paused to look at Arjun. “And my informers have told me that last week too, they drugged another girl and she's still missing. I've asked them to keep an eye out.”
“That sounds like they have a history of this behaviour, bring in their other friends and ask them.” Sameer said.
“Yes sir.” Chotu answered.
“I have a feeling that it's related to the MLA, someone is trying to get revenge from him. Underworld threats?” Arjun reasoned.
“That's possible too. Ek murder ke itne motives aur potential killers, it's a lot shadier than we expected.” Sameer said.
“Sir,” Riya looked at Sameer and Arjun, “I have a slightly different theory. Please listen to it objectively, before reacting.”
“Bolo.” Sameer said.
"I know it's difficult to believe, but Deeya isn't who she appears to be. There's more to her than meets the eye." Riya's tone was urgent yet composed. “What if she's the perpetrator, not the victim?”
“Riya! How dare you say that?” Arjun seethed in anger . Sameer walked over to Arjun. “Let Riya put forth her theory, Rawte, it is part of the case, nothing personal.” Arjun tried to protest but Sameer blinked his eyes slowly, asking him to stay calm. “Apni baat khatam karo, Riya.” Sameer nodded at Riya.