Chapter 2

Coffee, a strong scent that infiltrated my nostrils and I scrunched my nose in protest. The smell reminded me of my grandmother and her love for coffee. I opened my eyes expecting to see her only for me to shut them together a millisecond later.

The bright light against my eyelids struck fear in me, am I dead?

Beep-beep-beep, the sound encouraged me to try to peer my eyes open again. I blinked away the tears and tried to adjust to the bright light.

I had woken up to a doctor and a nurse surrounding me, the sight leaving me confused and startled.

That explained the bright lighting in the room and the noise machine, but that didn't explain why I was there. That part was still blurry to me.

The doctor was cleaning my arm with a cold liquid and she looked over at my face once she noticed I had woken up. " She is awake, I don't know if she has the energy to talk." She said alerting the nurse who was heading out of the room.

" I will let the officer know." The nurse nodded and exited the room.

I groaned out in pain as the painful headache made it hard to speak. Gunshot, I could hear that sound ringing in my head and panic shot through me.

" J-jack." I managed to blurt out, my throat felt as dry as the desert. My headache worsened as I tried to grasp the blurry memory of my brother running away from me.

The doctor press a button on the side of the bed and it began to lift my upper body a little. She then brings a cup of water to my lips and I take a small sip out of it.

She places the cup down by the table near my bed and grabs her chart." You will need to drink more, I will leave it here."

" My head," I winced, what's going on?" Where is my brother?"

" Ms.Benson, it will take a moment for the medicine to kick in and we have already alerted your guardians, your brother should be waiting outside for you." The doctor stated once she looked up from her chart." I'm Doctor Pauline and I will take care of you in the meantime."

I wanted to see him, I had so many questions to ask. I tried to sit up but struggled to lift myself up, the doctor placed a hand on my shoulder and offered me an assuring smile." Please rest for a while, you need it."

I tried to shake my head but it was to no use, my head felt like it weighed a ton. " No."

" Hazel, you have mild consciousness and trauma to the head, you have to stay in bed, " She sighed, I could only stare at her in disbelief. I swallowed feeling lost in a nightmare. "I know you got a lot of questions but we have to wait until you're a bit better, I'm really sorry."

The doctor turns her head back to the door where we could hear people rushing through the hall.

" My sweet baby," My grandmother's soothing voice made wanna cry like a baby and the horrified look on her face almost drew tears out of my eyes.

My grandmother was the most glamorous person I knew and she never missed her hair appointments, but here she was still in nightly protective hairstyle. I could even tell that she had just thrown on the first dress she had seen in her closet because I remember her telling me
she was going to wear her pink dress for the brunch this week.

" This why I always said no to sleepovers, please be alright." I felt guilty as she was blaming herself for something that was out of our control. I used to butt-head a lot with her when I first started to live with her but that changed when I learned about her childhood, she grew up very sheltered as a child in Louisiana and felt alone here in New York for a long time.