Chapter 4

I never thought that too much thinking could bring me so many problems. Yet here I was wide awake in my bed holding my head in disappointment.

Even my bed and some sleep couldn't help me retrieve my memories of that unfortunate evening. Most of my problems usually get solved that way but now I had to find another solution. I was staring at the pink walls of my room whilst everyone else in the house was asleep.

I didn't want to know how long I had stayed up but the sunlight hitting my window and illuminating the walls was a clear indicator of ' I had screwed up my sleep schedule right before school' and I shut my eyes closed for a second to reset before rolling out of bed. I send a quick message to Erica asking her if she is already up.

My phone pings just as I am about to go into the bathroom. It wasn't the reply I was expecting from Erica but instead, I was tagged on a post on the school's gossip page and I felt my entire body turn cold. I clicked on the post wondering what was being said about me and I paused reading when I saw my brother being mentioned. My nervosity quickly turned into anger seeing how the post called my brother an addict and that he was the one who attacked me on the beach.

'Rumor has it that it's why the police are looking for him, our little Hazel has a troubled brother...' That was all I read before I reported it and threw my phone to my bed.

I had a few names pop up in my head thinking of who would dare to post such a vile accusation. Freshman year me was stupid to think I could be friends with the person who created the gossip page and senior year me is now paying for that silly mistake.

I thought she had deleted that page but it just looks like she was waiting for revenge. I shouldn't be surprised since it wasn't like we were still friends but it looks like I had forgotten just how low Jessica Wright can go.

I dragged myself out of my room and went into the toilet and began brushing my teeth. My curls were a mess and I could see some red around the white on my eye, making my Hazel eyes look like they belonged on a zombie.

A zombie, that's practically what I have been feeling like lately. It has even affected my perspective on time, I could feel every single second that passed and it was driving me nuts. It was tiring, to say the least.

I wash my face with cold water and press my face into my warm towel, it made my eyes feel less heavy. After a moment of peace, I decided I was ready to brush my hair and put it in a slick ponytail to start my day, and then went to the kitchen still in my pajamas.

I heard the news on the TV before I catcher the sight of my dad eating his breakfast in a dark blue suit. It made him look youthful and relaxed. He looked up from his plate and greeted me with a smile." Already up? I thought you would sleep in and miss school."

I took the seat in front of him and grabbed a piece of his omelet. He pushes the plate towards me and goes back to eating his hot porridge, which he always tried to trick me into eating with him.

" Dad, it's the first day of school and I rather be early than coming the next day," I said and then continued to eat the flavorful omelet and a few pieces of red paprika. I glance over at the clock before I look back at him." And everybody seems to think they know what has happened and will think worse if I don't show up as usual."

I was the class president and we always had a meeting on the first day of school. It would be careless of me to not show up. I was chosen as the president for a reason and wanted to honor that. My dad was the one who actually encouraged me to run for class president when I was hesitating.

" It will be fine alright? People gossip all the time but their attention spans are short and they will find something else to gossip about." He explained, that his phone began to ring and he pointed a finger at me a" hold on' finger.