Chapter 9

~X~

Ithil

I settled into my saddle as I saw the walls of Orario coming closer in the distance. I looked to the side to see Cloud on his horse. His face was relaxed, but, as always, his eyes gave away his emotions. He was anxious.

"You know, I can't thank you enough for this escort," a voice behind me said."I'm really sorry that we can't pay you."

I turned to see the lead driver of a caravan full of people moving to live in Orario. Along the way, we happened across said caravan as it was under attack by some goblins. Cloud and I easily took care of the monsters. Apparently, they couldn't pay for guards as they were down on their luck and decided to move here for a chance at new fortunes.

I don't know why Orario specifically as Cloud said the place is one of the most expensive places to live because of the technology there.

"It's no problem," Cloud said. "We were heading to the same place anyway."

We lapsed into silence until we came up to the entrance.

Cloud and I dismounted our horses and led them to the stables just outside the city. The stables were there for anyone who didn't want to take the horses into the city as there were very few places to hitch your horses. Cloud also said it wasn't unheard of for horses to be stolen.

So, after he paid them to watch over the horses for a few days, we made our way to the gatehouse.

"Let me do the talking." Cloud said as we walked up to the window.

"Name?" the bored-looking official said.

"Cloud, and this is Ithil," Cloud motioned to me.

"Temporary visit or permanent residence?" the customs guy said in a bored tone.

"Temporary."

"Reason for visit?"

"Business."

"Are either of you part of a Familia?"

"I am, but she isn't."

"Which Familia?"

"...Astraea."

The customs agent and the guard to the side quickly looked at Cloud in surprise. They were trying to remember his face. ...And it seems one of them did.

"The Darknight Hero..." the guard whispered in awe, and the customs agent's eyes widened when he heard that. As did other workers behind the counter who were now staring.

Cloud kept a cool face, but I could feel he was uncomfortable. He cleared his throat and narrowed his eyes at the customs agent who was still staring at him with wide eyes. The agent blinked as he realized he was staring and quickly composed himself.

"A-Ah, it's 3,000 Valis per person to enter the city," the agent stuttered.

Cloud placed a bag of Valis on the counter and, without waiting, started walking to the gate. I moved to follow him.

Nobody moved to stop us as we walked through the gate, and Cloud pointedly ignored the guards whispering to each other and pointing at him.

Wow... Word spreads really fast, considering we just left the customs building.

~X~

Shakti Varma

Shakti walked out of an office at the customs checkpoint and finished with her bi-weekly visit to all the customs offices.