CHAPTER 3 - Gravestones and Obituaries

Attachment - Violet Cady Potter

Weeks had passed since Violet's death.

One morning, she laid on Colby's bed as he read something on his phone.

She was wearing what she did when she died - a pair of black pants, a white and beige striped long-sleeved shirt and a white vest. She found it comfy.

Suddenly, Colby stood up and yelled to Sam that he was going out. Violet hopped off the bed and sprinted after him, just getting into the car on time.

He began driving to the nearest mall and pulled up, hopping out and heading inside.

Violet stayed in the car, waiting for him to return. When he did, he had a bag of stuff and he put it in the backseat, and he drove again.

They arrived at a cemetery, and Colby grabbed the stuff. Violet ran after him, watching as he read gravestones. Then, he crouched in front of one, tracing the engraved words with his finger.

Violet Cady Potter

April 22nd, 2011 - June 20th, 2023

A loving daughter, you will be missed. Full of giggles and enthusiasm, always laughing. Her memory will live on.

Violet stared at the words, shocked at her own headstone. Colby then grabbed the bag and pulled out its contents. A bunch of violet flowers that he placed in front of the stone. There was also a card that Violet read.

I may not have gotten the pleasure to know Via personally, but I was in the crash that killed her, too.

I apologise to Violet's parents, Lavender and Alex, for their daughter's death. She will be missed.

Rest in Peace Violet Potter.

Colby Brock

A pit appeared in her stomach. She glanced back to him as he closed his eyes, a tear falling down his face. This survivor's guilt was really affecting him.

She watched as he pressed two fingers to his lips and then against her stone. "I'm sure you were an adorable kid, Violet."

That night, his phone lay unlocked in his room as he was in the hall with Sam. Violet found what he had been looking at before they went to the cemetery.

Obituaries.com

Potter:

Potter, Violet Cady

Violet Cady Potter, commonly known as Via, passed away at 12 on the Interstate 15 on June 20th 2023, following a car accident.

She was born April 22nd, 2011, in LA to Alexander and Lavender Potter.
Violet was a top-of-the-class student at Kings Christian College, a best friend of student Madelia James.
She was a loving daughter, granddaughter and niece.

Violet was an avid book reader, and was known for always having a book in her hand. She loved music, as well as drawing and designing. She played the flute as well, often playing for older people in nursing homes on weekends, when she wasn't playing Netball - her favourite sport. She will be missed by family, friends and everyone who knew her.

A funeral service will take place at Kings Christian Church, on July 2nd, beginning at 9:30am. Reverend James Clark will officiate. Flowers, donations and condolences will be available for offering at the service.

She stared at the words, she had a funeral service. She could see her family in person if she went.

Maddie would be devastated, maybe even crying...who was she kidding, Madelia James would be sobbing. Then again, if it was Maddie, Violet would be sobbing. That was who they were.

Then, she caught a glimpse of a black suit in Colby's closet. Was he going?

April speaks:
To answer Via's question, yes.
Colby is going to her funeral with Sam.