Chapter 24

When I reached Eric's house, Samantha greeted me with a tight hug that quite feels at home.

Today she was going to teach me about a requisite skill known as baking. There was excitement but deep down there was sadness about the morning argument with Aiden.

He can't influence my mood, I told myself.

I decided to indulge myself in learning a new art rather than pondering over bitter thoughts.

"Dear, I was waiting for you. I am so excited to teach you all my special delicacies," She looks so enthusiastic that I too found the rush of vitality.

"I am excited too," I smiled.

"Let's get to the kitchen, I have prepared everything that is needed to make you a professional cook."

When we arrived inside, I found Eric reading the newspaper on the couch, as he glimpsed us approaching him, a smile graced his lips.

"It's nice to see you, Emerald." He looked behind my back in search of something or someone.

"Aiden didn't come with you?" He inquired

"Actually, he had some work at the office," it was a partial truth because indisputably he had some serious papers to attend to.

Hearing my answer, his smile flattered mildly. he loved Aiden like his own son. I had seen it every time how proud he looks whenever Aiden achieves something. He is almost like his father figure.

"Well, I don't want to keep away from your work," he said and with that, we went into the kitchen.

When we reached the kitchen, I was stunned.

Indeed, as she had said, everything was prepared, from oven to flour, set on the table. All kinds of baking materials and vessels were laid in open, making the scene appear like a master chef's kitchen.

"So, today we will be baking cookies as it is your first time," she spoke professionally, and I feel like I was in classes.

I nodded.

She started showing me the ingredients and the recipe. Soon, I began with the batter and adding ingredients as Samantha had told me.

"Emerald, would you help me to make a cake? Actually, I promised Eric that I would make him a chocolate cake," she asked, as I finished mixing all the ingredients for the first batch of cookies.

"I would love to," she handed me a bowl which contain half a dozen of eggs.

"Break it, till that I will bring someone cocoa power," I tried breaking the eggs, keyword: tried because just like morning, eggshells fell in egg yolk while cracking. Recollection of the morning flashed inside my head.

You made food for him for the first time and he didn't get to eat it.

Just recalling what happened in the morning returned the gloomy atmosphere which I was feeling when I came here first.

Why can't he be understanding?

He didn't have to make it huge matter, I was tired of explaining to him time and again that Holden and I were just friends.

My phone started ringing on the table, talking about the devil, and he shall appear.

Aiden.

His name flashes on the screen, I really didn't want to speak with him, so I rejected it and resumed concentrating on my work. Slowly and cautiously, I broke the second last egg, success strikes on me when the eggshell didn't crumble and fell into the bowl.