5.2 | Lily of the Valley

Iloilo International Airport

Iloilo

4 February, 19:24

My plan to escape my brother's watchful eyes prove to be more difficult than I anticipated. After he came back to my room yesterday, I was still simmering, and it seems that he's got the gist of my mindspace, so he didn't leave me again for the rest of the day. The only good thing that came out of yesterday's farce is that our supposed flight to Lyon got pushed back by several hours. Instead of leaving the hospital in the crack of dawn, we get to head to the airport at night. Yay.

Rhodes walks in front of me as we make our way through the main terminal in Iloilo International Airport. Since it's already nighttime, the airport's not as busy as in the day.

"Can't we book another flight?" I ask casually, leaning on my crutch. My leg is wrapped in a cast, it's itchy and I hate that I can't do anything about it. "We can stay in the city for a few days, see some sights. I'm gonna be out of action anyway so I might as well use this chance to explore the motherland."

It's true, though. I've not been in a lot of places here in the Philippines, and for once, I want to do some island-hopping. That might take my mind off from this whole fiasco.

Rhodes raises a brow, unimpressed. "I know what you're trying to do, and the answer is no. You're not fit to go anywhere, Penny. Besides, Interpol will not like one of its agents taking a vacation without proper permission."

"Fine," I say. "I'll contact my handler, then. He can do the arrangements for me and make things easier."

"No."

I roll my eyes. "Killjoy."

"Lame shame," he says.

"Dumbass," I retort.

Who even insults somebody with 'lame shame'? Anyway, that was a fun conversation to have.

After checking in our bags and getting through a couple of grueling inspections from Immigration, we head to the third floor, where the waiting area for departing flights is. On one side, the whole wall is basically a huge glass window, showing parked airplanes, flashing lights and the night sky. A bunch of duty-free shops and restaurants are lined up on the other.

I turn to my brother, who's heading to the metal benches facing the planes and departure gates. I point to a Kenny Rogers Roasters right in front of us, where the smell of rotisserie chicken hits my nose. I know I should have learned my lesson by now, but airport food can't possibly be poisoned by Poison Grove, can it? There's no reason for them to infiltrate a fast food chain just to poison me.

"Can we at least get something to eat?"

"We already ate before we left the hospital," Rhodes answers. "'Cause, you know, buying airport stuff is expensive?"

"God, we're in the Philippines. Everything here is cheap!" I roll my eyes. "I guess I'll eat by myself."

"Don't go anywhere too far," he calls behind me.

I scoff, waving a hand. Yeah, right. Just because we're in the airport and I'm limping in my crutches doesn't mean I'm letting everyone else, including my brother, to boss me around.

Oh god, I'm starting to sound like Lucas. The thought sends a pang in my chest.

I'm not even hungry, but I had to make up an excuse to get away from Rhodey to draw some plan. A restaurant seems to be a good place to ruminate on how to sneak out without looking suspicious.

The restaurant, just like the rest of the lined-up shops, has an open concept so everyone passing by can see the ones mingling and eating inside, where warm brown chairs and tables take up most of the space. Fellow travelers in their athleisure glory occupy some of the seats. A handful of people are lined up behind a cashier manned by a cheery Filipino guy in black uniform.