A Way To Stem Future Bleeding

Superman and Martian Manhunter bid each other a curt goodbye. Superman walks aimlessly, finding himself at Batman's door. He debates with himself for a moment before deciding that nothing can make this situation worse than it already is. He goes to knock and the door opens.

"This is about Kon, isn't it?" Batman asks, his large frame taking up a good portion of the doorway.

"That and... Some other things."

Batman moves out of the way and goes to sit in the chair in front of the desk. Numerous case files are scattered across the desk, sticky notes strewn over them - all written on with red pen. The handwriting was inconsistent. There was Batman's non-descript, legible writing but also one that was akin to a doctor's writing - uniquely indecipherable in every conceivable way. Superman sits on the bed, looking curiously at the piles of cases.

As though reading Superman's mind, Batman says, "Not my work. It was like this when I walked in yesterday. Someone else's handwriting is on it as well and it's not Robin's... Or at least not my current Robin's, Nightwing as he seems to go by now."

"Current Robin's..? You make it sound like you think it's likely you'll have others."

"I didn't before I came here but... Seeing the boys - my boys - today has made me realise something. If another child ever were to fall into the darkness as I have and I didn't do everything in my power to stop it, I wouldn't ever forgive myself. So yes, I do think that I may take in others." Superman goes to interrupt, to declare how unlikely that the same two boys would later fall into the pits of Gotham and even later, Batman's care. But he doesn't get a chance because Batman continues.

"Is it likely to be these future's boys? No, but they are Batman's Robins in this world and they deserve my respect and care the same as my current does."

"So, you don't care that may never be your... your boys in our world?" Superman feels his throat tighten.

"I do care, that's why I think this way. It hurts knowing that maybe the reason one of those boys aren't back home in our universe is that they've already fallen. They may be dead or injured or going down a bad path but they are also just as likely to be fine. It's possible in our world that they are in a better position than they are here... I hope so at least."

Superman stares at his usually stoic teammate, wondering how someone so touched by the world's evil could speak so lovingly about two children he had just met. There was only one he actually knows-

"Batman?"

"Yes?"

"How do you know that Nightwing is the same person who is Robin in our time?"

Batman's lips twitch and for a moment, Superman thinks he won't answer. "Dickiebird."

"What?"

"It's how I knew. Now, what did you come here to ask me?" Batman folds his hands in his lap.

"Who else's handwriting do you think is on the files on your desk?"

"One of the boys. You're avoiding the question."

"You usually don't leave things in such a state, you know? I wonder why."

"The boys most likely have access to this room so that they can work on them at their convenience whilst I'm away. You are trying and failing to change the topic."

Superman sighs and lets his shoulders slump in a way that's normally reserved for Clark Kent. "Martian Manhunter has noticed Kon's behaviour around me is... strange. Since you are the only League member I know is a... guardian, I thought I'd ask you what you could make of Kon's whole thing," Superman waves a hand around vaguely, hoping it gets his point across.