A Future Fumble

The next day begins with much of the same. Eating breakfast at the Watchtower, getting ready and heading over to the Hall of Justice through the Zeta tubes.

Unlike the previous day, Superman's eyes are narrowed in determination as he looks at the four people waiting in front of the Zeta tubes.

Nightwing, Red Hood, Robin and Superboy all stand facing the Justice League. Nightwing steps forward.

"We need to go check out the buildings around where you guys appeared. We are not to act or attack unless strictly necessary - this mission will simply be to scope the place out. If it seems like it's involved in your little trip across dimensions, then we'll come back afterwards when we have more information." Nightwing's brothers nod approvingly and Batman lets out a small hum.

"What about Superboy?" Hawkgirl asks.

"If you're talking about Superboy, you can ask him directly," Nightwing places a hand on his hip. Hawkgirl's feathers rustle and she turns to Superboy.

"What about you? Are you going?"

"No! I mean, no. No, I'm not," Kon rubs at his jacket's sleeve. Green Lantern looks at him curiously and begins to talk.

"Why's that? By your own admission, you seem to know the Lex Luthor of this world the best. Why wouldn't you come along?"

Robin steps in front of Kon as though to block him from view. It isn't very effective considering Kon is at least an inch taller than Robin. "It's a simple mission to retrieve information, it's not a brute force attack. We need subtlety and stealth and frankly? Kryptonians aren't exactly made for that."

Superman raises an eyebrow and Robin crosses his arms and he continues.

"Tell me I'm wrong. Laser eyes, super strength and ice breath may help you break into a place but it doesn't do your discretion any favours," Robin looks towards the rest of the Justice League, eyes daring them to say otherwise. Red Hood slings an arm around him and begins to talk.

"What we're trying to say is that this kind of mission is more suited to our more... Sneaky members. Basically, this is a job for a couple of birds."

Batman steps forward. "I'll come with you."

Nightwing claps his hands loudly. "Great! Ideally, we should have a pair for each building so that if something does happen, we have one person able to get the other out. Batman, you're with me."

Nightwing slides in beside Batman as though it's the most natural thing in the world. Batman, like he would with his Robin, stands slightly angled towards Nightwing. An almost invisible, protective gesture that catches Superman's eye.

"Martian Manhunter, would you be up for this mission?" Nightwing looks at J'ohn expectantly and grins when he nods. "Fantastic! And Wonder Woman?"
Diana nods. "Okay, that makes six! Now, you two will pair and Robin and Hood will pair."

Almost everyone nods at the groups but Batman looks between each of his boys and tilts his head.

"What about the rest of us?" Superman asks. "What should we do?"

"Stay in the Watchtower, of course."

"You're...kidding. You must be kidding. You expect us to sit around and do nothing?"

"Yes, actually. The more you guys go out, the more your respective rogues will take notice. None of you are the experienced individuals that you are in this time, some of your rogues you haven't even met yet," Nightwing's voice is clear and firm. Hawkgirl speaks up.

"Why do we have to stay in the Watchtower specifically? Some of us have bases of operation that would be free for us to use, like Batman's cave or Superman's Fortress of Solitude," she gestures to Batman and Superman in turn. "Or why not stay here in the Hall of Justice?"