~Prologue~

The first thing I woke up to was the smell of rot. The smell of despair and death. My eyes shot open and I glanced around. No one was nearby.

No, I was with someone. I could hear their heartbeat, but so faint I was scared whoever it was, maybe seconds away from death, I couldn’t see anything. The darkness kept returning.

I remembered the name of my companion and fumbled forward in the dark, “DUSK! DUSK?! DUSK ARE YOU THERE?!” I yelled desperately where was he?! I stumbled over something and screamed as I felt a fiery pain shoot up my leg.

I glanced back and saw a faint outline of something, a pale white perhaps. I reached a hesitant hand and felt something smooth, I felt around, there was a sharp dip here… another one right next to it, a smaller crack in the middle of those holes, but slightly to the side, I felt a row of bumps somewhere…

I crouched forward, and my hands found the bottom and scooped up whatever it was. I brought it close to my face to examine but let out a scream after I realized what it was, my eyes adjusting and I saw it, the skeleton of a fallen one. I stood and tried to run, but collapsed.

My darn leg, I couldn't run, the best I could do was crawl fast. And I did, calling out Dusk’s name the entire time, slowly I shut up, listening as closely as I could, following the faint sound of a heartbeat. I heard it growing stronger and stopped, feeling water below me, I felt my wound and cleaned it quickly with the water.

I felt my clothes, they were tattered. Good. I ripped off a big chunk of my sleeve and carefully wrapped up my wound. I then managed to stand, somewhat. I took the opportunity and limped over to the heart beat, calling softly, “Dusk. Dusk, stay with me. I can hear you. Stay alive please. I’m almost there.”

I limped faster, almost there, I placed one hand on the cave wall and let it guide me to him, I could feel him, so close. I will not let him turn into the skeleton. No. Not him. Anyone but him. I slowly felt the wall curving and I sped up, pushing through the pain. Gritting my teeth until at last I heard it breathing, and soft murmurs of my name.

I felt tears as I rushed over, still limping but I didn't care, I wrapped my arms around him. “Dusk! I found you! Answer me, are you okay?!”

He groaned but whispered something. “Ok. Know what? Just relax. I’ll get us out of here. I promise.” I scooped him up in my arms, oh no, he felt so frail! I forgot about the burning pain in my leg and limped off hoping to find a way out, no not hoping. Knowing I would. Or I’d die trying.

But I didn’t know anymore if the light I saw far ahead was real or just a trick, I couldn’t feel Dusk stiffening in my arms, or shuddering, I just knew we had to hurry and make it out. I knew we would. I knew, no matter what happened to me, Dusk would.

𓆙_________________________𓆃

When in doubt: write the most angstiest angst ever.

When struggling to write lore properly: write something that makes no sense and work it in later!

It's up to you to determine whether that applies to this or not. Hint: only one of the top wisdoms actually apply to the prologue...

ANYWAY- THANK YOU FOR READING!

-The King is out-