Chapter 3

The prince awoke slowly in the morning, his body aching all over, but the forest was quiet.

“Your majesty.” a voice hissed behind him. His eyes shot open, fear seeping into his every fiber.

The prince was about to screech in fear and his haunches stiffened seconds away from fleeing when a strong arm wrapped around him and held him in place and stopped him from making a sound. Naturally he squirmed around, which his captor did not seem to enjoy. “Keep quiet, there are still scouts out there looking for you. It’s me, your majesty, Sir Heller.” The prince still thrashed and squirmed, but his actions slowed after hearing the man’s name, he wriggled his face free, “What’s the code?” The prince asked with an undertone of hostility.

Sir Heller chuckled, “The password, last I remember, was Dragon’s breath opal.” he murmured.

The prince squealed excitedly, earning himself another hand over his mouth. After wiggling it out again he proclaimed, “Sir Heller! It is you!” The prince beamed in excitement. “Are my parents ok?”

Silence… Sir Heller’s stiffened muscles, and a consoling pat on the head was the only response he got, but it was all he needed. “Oh.” His eyes started to water again. “I kept hoping, but I knew it was a long shot…”

“I’m sorry. But my priority is getting you to safety… come on. There is a carriage waiting for us.” He said softly. “Where are we going, MacVel?” The prince asked. “Somewhere they will never look for you. The Stonewall beach.”

“WHAT?!” Another hand slapped over his mouth, but this time they both remained quiet, suspicious footsteps approached, but then retreated after a while. The prince shoved his hand away and whisper-shouted instead. “What?! Stonewall?! But that’s where most peasants live! I’m a prince! Why do I have to go?!”

“Your majesty. THINK. No one will ever look for you there. You’ll be safe. And besides, We’ll be on the outskirts of the village. You won’t ever have to meet anyone. I’ll go in from time to time to buy supplies, we’ll be safe in a cottage far from the village. Trust me. I will do whatever I can to keep you alive. But that means you can’t let anyone know who you are.”

The prince looked upset, but he finally nodded. “Will I at least get to say goodbye to my parents, even if it’s not a funeral?” He asked, his eyes glimmering with impossible hope. Sir Heller gave him a sympathetic sweet smile, patting his head. It made the prince sick to his stomach.

“Forgive me my prince, but we must head to Stonewall as soon as feasibly possible, and the closer to the castle we go, the more likely we’ll get caught. I’m sorry. But we can’t. But tell you what,” He climbed down the tree, placing the prince on his back, making sure he was safely holding on as he slipped quietly through the forest. “As soon as we get to Stonewall, we can hold a small ceremony of released souls.”

The prince sighed, glancing back in the general direction of his old home. His heart ached to run back to it, to see his parents one more time, even if they wouldn’t be able to hug him and say goodbye to him in return. They were dead, and he had to deal with it. No matter how much he hated the thought of leaving their corpses at the mercy of the barbarians.

“It won’t be the same. Will it EVER be the same? MacVel?” He asked Sir Heller, close to tears. Sir heller brought him into his arms, and held him to his chest, “I feel for you my prince. But I’m afraid, unless the universe presents us with a miracle… no… Nothing will ever be the same. But that’s life. Always changing, twisting and turning. But it can’t possibly be bad forever. Things get better. They always do.” And so, Sir Heller placed the prince back on his back, the prince gazed up at the clouded sky, the sun and his happiness blotted out, he felt his eyes drift close, and he started to dream.

♕_________________________________♕

Apologies for dying. I am alive again! I completely forgot about this until a friend of mine screamed at me for an update. So here it is! :D

Anyway-

-The King is out-