chapter 21: behind perfection

A few days had gone by since the incident with Alcohol, Espresso has been very distant since that day, he had all the right to, Latte also distanced herself to help and comfort her brother in this tough situation. Espresso was like a pencil, strong but will break eventually if you put enough pressure on it and Madeleine was like glue tape, would do anything to pull the pencil back together, but the more it tried the more fragile it gets. Madeleine walked through the school to try and find his friends, but they were nowhere to be found. Madeleine wondered where they could be, perhaps the library? That indeed made sense, exams were close and the library was the perfect place to study! Madeleine walked in the room where all the knowledge resides and saw his friends studying, just like he predicted, he approaches them slowly and whispers next to Almond's ear:

Madeleine- What are you guys doing?

That low whisper led to a high scream and a book hitting Madeleine's head, he laughed loudly, but the others didn't look so happy.

Cocoa- Madeleine! I understand that you want to be with us, but we need to study!!

Madeleine- A week in advance? Don't you think that's a bit too early?

Cocoa- What?

Almond- Madeleine you do realize the exams are this week right?

Madeleine- Huh-?

Madeleine wasn't aware that the exams were this week, he didn't study a thing! He couldn't fail a test already! He promised his mom he would get his grades up!!

Madeleine- No!! I didn't know!! Can I study with you guys?? 

The group stayed silent, they looked at eachother without a single word, until finally Mint Choco gained enough courage to tell him.

Mint choco- Madeleine, you see.. You're not exactly the best person to study with.. 

Madeleine- What do you mean?

Mint choco- When we try to study with you, you keep joking around and that distracts us a lot!

Madeleine- But I'm just trying to keep things a bit fun! Besides, that hasn't really affected you right?

Cocoa- I mean, our grades lowered, so it did affect us.. We hope you understand!! 

Madeleine didn't say a word, all he could do was think, "Am I a bad friend? What am I doing wrong? I'm trying my best, I really am.. Am I a bad influence? Maybe I should leave them alone.. But I can't, no matter how much I try, I need them with me.. Why?" He sighed and quietly left the library, the group felt bad for Madeleine, he was always so happy and positive, it hurt to see him so upset, as for Madeleine, he didn't understand why he felt so dependent of his friends or why he was overthinking this much! He walked to the janitor's closet, where Espresso usually hides, he went inside and started talking to himself in the dark.

Madeleine- Why is this happening again?? I haven't felt like this in years.. The last time I felt like this was.. 

That's when it hit him, that was the moment Madeleine realized why he was overthinking so much, why he was feeling like that.

Madeleine- Was when I had to say goodbye to Espresso.. It was when I thought I was gonna lose him.. That hurt me more than anything else, I lo-.. I mean I cared-!..No.. I loved him more than I loved anyone, he was everything.. but I have him back! I don't have to feel like this anymore!! Yet.. I do, because I feel like I'm gonna lose them too, but my mind cannot accept such fate!! How did it reach this point?? I don't even have the courage to tell anyone, I have to be my own therapist!! Why doesn't anyone see that I have issues too?? There's more to me behind perfection..!

Madeleine was sobbing already, these thoughts were killing him, the poor boy just wanted to sit and cry, he tried to hold the tears as much as possible but he broke down eventually, the tears poured down his cheeks as he hugged himself. He just wanted this pain to stop.

Espresso walked to his usual hiding stop, when he heard crying, Espresso thought it was Sparkling crying because he made a fool out of himself infront of Herb again, but when he opened the door, he was shocked, Espresso dropped his books at the sight of Madeleine crying his heart out, it hurt him, he never thought Madeleine of all people would be in here crying, but there he was. Espresso ran to him, really worried.

Espresso- Madeleine, what happened??? Are you okay? Why are you crying??

Madeleine- Espresso, am I a bad friend..?

Espresso froze, what made Madeleine think that?? Against all odds, Espresso pulled Madeleine into a tight hug

Espresso- No, of course not, despite being an idiot most of the time, you're an amazing friend and anyone would be lucky to have you.. I feel lucky to have met someone as optimist and great as you. You're incredible, Madeleine. Never forget that.

Madeleine sobs more, Espresso's words were so comforting to him, however he was still worried about failing the test.

Madeleine- Thanks, Espresso, but I'm still gonna fail this test.. I thought it was next week and now I'm going to let my mom down..

Espresso- No you won't. 

Madeleine looks at Espresso, unsure of what he was implying, Madeleine was clearly going to fail! He didn't study at all and he's not exactly smart..

Espresso- I'll help you study.

Madeleine- Wait really?? You'd do that for me??

Espresso- Of course.. I don't want you to fail.

There were 30 minutes left until class and they got to work to do, Madeleine has never learned faster, Espresso was very good at explaining things, however he was strict, no jokes or distractions! When the bell rang, Madeleine felt ready, Madeleine was ready!
They all sat down, got their pens and finally the test began. 50 whole minutes of test and Madeleine felt like he knew everything! Until, it was over, their time ran out. Madeleine handed back his test, proud of himself and left the classroom.
Espresso was walking through the hallway when he heard footsteps running on his direction.

Madeleine- ESSIEEEE!!!

Espresso- GAH!

Madeleine jumped to him and hugged him on the floor while laughing, almost with tears in his eyes.

Madeleine- Thank you!!! Thank you so much!! You're the best!! I love you so much!!

Espresso- I'm glad I could help.. Wait what was that last part?

Madeleine gives him a kiss on the cheek and walks away smiling while Espresso blushes

Espresso- I did not expect that..

──────────────────────────
End of chapter 21
1119 words