Disturbed

"SOMETIMES THE PEOPLE WITH THE WORST PAST OFTEN HAVE THE BEST FUTURE..."

Doma POV

Once I was sure Adele got home safe watching her from the edge of her street as I knew her dad was always on the watch so I kept a safe distance.

Funny how he thinks he could keep me away from my LOML.

Now walking back home, I thought of a hundred and one things Dad could want to talk to me about that it was so urgent. Saying a hundred and one things because he could just ask to know about my whereabouts but then...

The festival...

It was tomorrow and honestly, it was hard to believe even with the lavender hue of the sky or the ebbing quietness that condensed Khari town.

I could just imagine how eclectic tomorrow will be. It was as if tomorrow was a different day with a different timing but was it just going to be a normal boring festival in Khari?

A one never to be remembered.......

But who knows till tomorrow then...

I quietly opened the gate but the rusty hinges didn't help with that. It worked against me but I knew Papa couldn't be sleeping by now, checking my phone it was just 7:09 pm and curfew was latest 6:30 pm if it was Christian who went out because he was the responsible one with the perfect excuse for coming back late.

I turned to make sure I bolted the gates securely as I took a minute of silence to know if anyone was coming to approach me.

I breathe for relief turning with a smile plastered on my face but then turn to a shocked look for a few seconds before becoming neutral as I cross eyes with Papa.

I was done for...

Those obsidian-like eyes that pierce through me like lead bullets so heavy and acute, intricately carved to perfection.

"You're late Doma," he said as he diverted his eyes to take a sip from the green herbs he takes almost every night.

He didn't take it often, I knew because I always made it for him whenever he needed it, whenever he was stressed, worried over a pestering thought.......

"I met up with Farris, I'm sorry papa," I said bowing as low as I stared so close at his dark little fat feet coming close to me.

"How is Farris?" his question surprised me deeply but I did well not to express it.

"His fine," I said briefly as he patted my back softly and my curiosity to know what wandered his mind choked me...

"Good to know," he said smiling with his eyes....

Whenever he smiled with his eyes, he tried to hide the tiredness lingering on them.

What was going on with my papa?!?

"The festival is tomorrow and as you know I will be busy so keep an eye on Dera and your mother for me," he said piquing my interest but as I nodded in agreement I questioned...

Why didn't he tell Christian this? Or did he tell Christian but also wanted to involve me?

But no matter how many questions I asked myself silently. I didn't want to let them out. I was too scared of what the answer might be. I believed nothing could make Papa so worried but seeing him now, I started to have doubts.

"Yes sir"

"That said let's get inside," he said standing up from the wearied-off rocking wooden chair he sat on rounding his hand on my shoulder as I led him inside.

I wasn't a fool neither am I a child but I knew my papa was disturbed.

His gait seemed staggered, heavy sleep bags weighed his eyes. He talked less not that he had much to say but he was too down to talk out lastly, the lines of wisdom edged on his forehead were wretched in weariness.

As much as I wanted to shake off this feeling, It attracted me, drew me and I couldn't help but resist.....

The sweet choking scent of Christian peppered coconut rice with red sauced pig meat knocked my senses off.

After I led Papa to his usual cushioned arm char greeted Mama next to him meeting the death gaze my twin sister Dera usually gave me.

I went straight to the kitchen closing the door behind me damn was the kitchen hot but I could withstand the heat as long as I took a spoon or two of that rice.

"Thank goodness you're around Doma, help me with the sieve," Christian, my elder brother said hastily and I went to the store to get the sieve.

He filtered the oil-dripping pork off the frying pan putting a new set of cube-chopped plantains, exactly the way I love it.

"How's Adele?" he asked stirring the plantains as he talked.

"She's good, but I'm worried," I said taking a seat on the stool.

"About her?"

"About Papa," I said frankly.

"So it wasn't only me that noticed," he said biting his lower lip as I knew he was overthinking the same as me.

"It's hard to ignore tho" I admitted.

"It's the festival, it's stressing him but I'm sure after tomorrow he will be fine," Christian said giving me a reassuring smile but beneath it, we both knew it was more than the festival something else worried him and it seemed severe.

"Join me let's make this sauce already, I'm starving," Christian said trying to clear the tension that withheld us a little. I tried to shake that feeling off as I joined Christian in mixing whatever he told me to mix as long as it had a good aroma I was all right.

Soon after, dinner was made, and trust me, I had two platefuls settled inside me as I had a long cold bath because the weather of hot as I wandered off to dreamland.