74 I'm Alive

I felt dizzy when I heard him finish his words. My feet slid back, but Daley stepped forward and put his hand on my waist. He spoke softly.

"You're shocked, aren't you?"

I looked into his calm, golden eyes, which were nothing like Frade's green eyes. I still can't believe they are brothers. Then it dawned on me. In the backyard of the White House on Pudding Island, while I was in a coma, I saw a face that looked like Frade's. Maybe it wasn't an illusion, and I just thought Daley was Frade.

"You already know everything, don't you?" I pushed him away in disgust. I remember telling him Frade's name. It was from that moment that he became aware of my relationship with Frade, so he approached me to get back at Frade?

"I never thought about going back to America in my life. I believe it was fate." He rubs my hair. "I wonder if Frade would go crazy if he knew I was sleeping with the woman he likes."

His sneer made my scalp tingle, and this man frightened me. I know nothing about him. He is a dangerous poppy, beautiful but poisonous. I really regret getting involved with him in everything.

I want to leave him now.

"Let me go," I said.

"I'm afraid you're not going anywhere," said Daley disapprovingly, "You are now a wanted woman by the police. You are accused by your father and sister of killing your stepmother. Staying here is the best option for you, because only I can protect you."

Lydia was dead. I remember pushing her down the stairs. I had no idea what happened after that. Did I really kill her?

Now they're blaming me for Lydia's death, and my father always leaves one last rope to his plans.

"I can protect myself," I said stubbornly.

Daley smiled faintly. He didn't ask me to stay, and he seemed to have known about my decision. He took a mobile phone out of his pocket and handed it to me.

"The first number on this phone is my private number. If you need anything, you can contact me at any time." He paused. "I'm sure you'll come back to me."

I took the phone but didn't leave. I was wondering if I should ask him about Frade. Daley, however, seemed to read my mind, so he volunteered.

"Frade is in a special ward at Santa Maria Hospital. You want to see your old flame?" His expression turned cold.

"Thank you."

As I turned to walk away, I could feel Daley's eyes staring back at me, calmly. I could imagine an imperceptible smirk was on the corners of his mouth. He looks at everything like a master.

'I'm sure you'll come back to me.'

No, I'm not coming back. I said to myself.

I tried to contact Mark, but he was nowhere to be found when I returned to my room in the hallway. He's gone. So I took the elevator to the hotel lobby and everything went smoothly. No one stood in my way. Looks like Daley's really gonna let me go.

When a hunter intentionally lets his prey go, it is not out of kindness, but out of a plan. Is this a new game, or an eternal exile?

Seeing the traffic on the street, my mind began to calm down. After thinking about it for a while, I took out my cell phone and dialed a familiar number. Soon a woman's voice came over the line.

"This is Liv."

When I heard my good friend's voice again, my open mouth was silent for a long time. I didn't make a sound until she was impatient with me.

"If it's a prank, hang up. I don't have time for games."

"Hi, it's me," I finally said, gathering my nerve. "Eva."

She was silent for a moment. I heard the faint sound of rock'n' roll on the other side of the receiver. Then the song stopped abruptly. Then came sobs.

"I must be dreaming," Liv's voice quavered. "Where are you?"

"Yes, it's me. I'm alive." I looked up at the hotel sign.

"I'm outside the Silver Sailing Hotel."

"Wait for me. Don't leave." Liv hung up. I can't imagine what it would be like to see her. Is she the same?

About 20 minutes later, a speeding red Porsche sports car stopped in front of me like lightning. The door opens and Liv steps out in a white tracksuit. She ran up to me and hugged me.

"I knew you were alive, you little b.itch."

It was our intimate nickname, and her embrace was suffocating. So I quickly patted her back.

"Let's get out of here first," I said.

"That's right. I still have a lot to say to you." Liv seemed to realize something, and she looked around warily.

"Get in the car," she said.

I was in the passenger seat and Liv drove away from the hotel. Along the way, she kept asking me where I had been during my absence. I could only tell her in short sentences how I had been sold to Pudding by my father and how I had met Daley.

"F.uck! You slept with Frade's brother." Liv turns the steering wheel left onto the coastal boulevard.

"That was a mistake," I explained.

"But they're enemies," Liv says as she drives into the seaside resort.

"I know." Now that the mistake has happened, I can't change the fact. I feel like I betrayed Frade, especially when I heard he was in the hospital. I don't think I can make up for this mistake in my life.

Liv parked her car at the beach and went to the next store to buy two cold beers. We each held a beer and leaned back against the car, looking out at the blue water, listening to the sounds of children playing.

The sea breeze blew in my face, and I let out a long, comfortable breath. It's a far cry from the gloom of Pudding Island. The bright sun shone on me. The memory of Puddin' island flashes before my eyes. The pain never goes away.

"Things are not looking good for you," Liv said over a beer, "Although we managed to crash your sister's engagement party with Ron, you are now charged with murder. As far as I know, Ron was planning to marry another famous family after his business was badly damaged by Frade. I hear he's been courting Sarah. And your sister is going out to all sorts of social events, and it looks like she's looking for a new fiance, too."

That's what they do!

"Have you been watching them?" I asked.

"I'm doing this for you," Liv said, pinching the can in her hand. "I'm sure you'll be back someday. I've been waiting to hear from you."

Liv's words touched me. In my previous life, I could not help her, but in this life she helped me a lot. I feel ashamed.

"You've done enough for me," I whispered. "Thank you."

"I just want one thing." Liv's tone grew serious. She looked at me and said seriously, "Don't push me away next time. I said I would help you."

"I can't put you in danger," I said, "Because you're my best friend."

"Then let's fight together," Liv said. "If I had known you were in pudding, I would have found a way to save you. At least you wouldn't have to suffer."

"I know." I cried. I knew Frade would do the same. He tried to find me, even got hurt for me. The thought of him still in a coma in the hospital made my heart hurt like it had been cut by a knife.

"Liv, can you take me somewhere?"

"Where?"

"Santa Maria Hospital."