130 A Fortune

I sent Daley a message telling him that I needed to leave for a while. And I gave him a brief explanation of why I was leaving. He replied one word: Okay.

So Tommy drove me in his silver BMW to a high-end apartment just two blocks from the hotel. We took the elevator from the parking lot to the top floor, and soon the doors opened. Tommy stuck out his index finger at the Smart Gate and typed in his fingerprint.

The lights automatically turned on and a large house appeared when we entered the room. Tommy helped me put my handbag on the shelf carefully, then he stopped in front of the refrigerator.

"Beer or soda?" He asked me as he opened the fridge door.

"Soda," I answered, sitting on the white leather couch.

"Give me a minute, I'll get your mother's diary for you." Tommy handed me a soda and turned around to the stairs.

A light white puff of smoke came out quickly as I opened the bottle. I took a sip of the soda. It was orange.

I casually looked around, sitting on the corner of the couch and looking down over Las Vegas Boulevard, where I could see the high-rises and the flashing lights, the replica Eiffel Tower and the music fountain.

I stared at the city of desire, feeling the cold from the soda bottle pass into my palm. Memories of my childhood blinking like lights. Just when my mother's blurred face was about to appear in my mind, the sound of Tommy's footsteps coming down the stairs brought me back to my senses.

"This is your mother's diary." Tommy handed me a thick leather notebook, an old-fashioned one with a small lock.

"It's locked," Tommy said, "But this lock doesn't have any practical effect. It can be solved with a pair of pliers. If you need it, I can find the right pliers in my Toolbox."

"No, thank you." I gently stroked the old yellow diary, which records my mother's memories. I didn't want to open it violently.

"Okay." Tommy sat down next to me and glanced at the diary in my hand, "I had no idea your mother had a diary in her safe box. It was the only thing I found belonging to her in the family."

"I will keep this diary well." At least now I have her belongings in addition to my childhood memories. Ever since my mother died, Mikeal has burned everything that belonged to her. He was anxious to get rid of the wife who had been with him for so many years. He quickly brought Gina and her mother. Lydia had replaced my mother, and Gina had replaced me.

But they were all in the past.

"I contacted your father after my parents died. Although he did not attend the funeral in person, I informed him by telephone about the Wilson family legacy, and I asked him for your number. But he refused to say anything about you. "Tommy looked at me, "Eva, I feel strange. I remember my father was at your wedding after you graduated from college. And he told me that your husband was Ron Moore. I was studying in Germany at the time, but I think my memory is correct."

"Your father was right, but a lot of bad things happened." I sighed. "This story is too long. I'll tell you later when I have time."

"Why don't you tell me now?" Tommy said. "We're family. I want to know what happened to you."

"I don't think this is a good time," I politely declined. "I have to get back to the party. Daley's waiting for me."

"Eva, I know I'm not supposed to say this, but I like you."

"No, that's impossible." I looked at Tommy in surprise, and he was staring at me intently.

"It's true," Tommy said. "When I first saw you when I was nine, your face was carved into my heart."

"No kidding." After my mother died, I had very little contact with my uncle's family. The last time I remember it was my uncle who invited me to Tommy's birthday party. He was just a shy little boy when he faced me, and that's all I remember of him.

"I'm married." I held up my hand to him, and the blue diamond glowed on my index finger.

Tommy looked sad, and soon he gave a relieved smile. "I just want you to know that I liked you."

"And you'll always be my little cousin." I kissed him gently on the cheek.

"You've always been a star in my heart," Tommy said.

"You need to see this document for the details of the family inheritance." Tommy got up and went to his desk, where he took out a printed document from a stack of folders and placed it on the desk in front of me.

"What is it?" I glanced at the thick stack of paper on my desk.

"It lists all the Wilson family assets," Tommy said, "I've marked the portion of it that belongs to you. But I want you to know that the most valuable piece of the family fortune is a mine in Australia. My family owns the permanent rights to the mine, which is expected to generate at least $50 million a year in revenue, 50% of which is yours alone. That doesn't include the rest of the investment."

"What?" In the face of this sudden wealth, I was shocked. I was stunned for a few seconds to restore calm.

"You deserve it because you're a Wilson," Tommy said. "All you have to do is sign a bunch of papers when the lawyers are done."

"The truth is, there's another Wilson beside me." I decided to tell Tommy about Mia, my sister and mother's child. This is a fact of life.

I can't be selfish enough to keep the inheritance for myself. I can't.

"What does that mean?"

I took a deep breath. "My mom had twins. I have a sister. Her name is Mia. Plus, Mikeal is not our father."

"What?" Tommy jumped up from the couch and looked at me with his eyes wide open.

"Are you serious?"

"Yes," I said confidently. "I didn't know about her until this year."

I knew, but I always thought she was dead.

"I can't believe you're not Mikeal's kid." Tommy put a hand on his forehead. "What the hell is going on?"

"This may sound crazy, but he admitted that I wasn't his child." I knew that some things couldn't be hidden. "Maybe that's why he didn't want you to contact me at all."

"Tommy, I think these papers need to be revised," I said, "Because the heirs aren't just you and me, we have to consider Mia."

"I'd like to know about Mia if I could," Tommy said.

"Come on, sit next to me." I waved at him. "We need some time."