Chapter 20

CALLUM

Tonight was going to result in being extremely difficult for me.

Journalists and photographers stood stationed outside by the entrance. The people attending dressed in their best galas, and I slipped inside quickly, not even making the effort to pose for a shot.

I had received orders to stay away from Tess, but I had dragged myself here as a representation for the company and to present the donated prize voucher to the winning bid.

"Callum O'Neill." I gave my name at the reception and the attendant handed me a paddle with a number on it.

"If you place a winning bid tonight, it will be registered to your name and you can come pick it up later, after payment is verified." The woman rattled off the rehearsed spiel. "Good luck tonight and thank you for coming."

I put the paddle in my back pocket. I hadn't really come to bid on anything tonight.

The grand room MoMo hired for the fundraiser this year was impressive. Greek pillars divided the place up. In the center, we placed tall tables and catering was served with a pacing similar to well-oiled clockwork. The outer square of the space served as a hallway where all the bidders could walk around comfortably admiring the auction items.

Mrs and Mr Abbott, the board member, and his wife were one of the first people I ran into. Maybe they were here to keep an eye on me, or only to enjoy the pleasant evening. I didn't let myself care, determined to be on my best behavior.

From all the directives of my grandfather's company, Joseph Abbott was the only one willing to give me a chance. All the others were trying to skin me alive. The rumor mill had done its best after the article, and the news had traveled fast through the building.

Making conversation with the attendees for the sake of Quantum, I couldn't help but let my gaze stray around the room in between schmoozing.

Until they finally met hers.

Tess was a sight for sore eyes. Dressed in a beautiful emerald dress, she moved effortlessly around the room, answering questions about the auction. Her golden hair was down, gracing her shoulders, and my fingers itched to touch the softness of her hair. To twirl my finger around the strands and inhale her vanilla perfume.

I hoped that the color choice of her gown had something to do with me. How could this woman be everything I wanted, yet be my downfall at the same time?

"Excuse me," I muttered as I stepped away from the conversation I was taking part in, and I moved towards the fundraiser exhibit.

Tess was walking along the outer edge of the room. Showing the items on display and answering questions. I chose to remain in her eyesight. Just out of my reach, but close enough to admire her.

"Good evening, Mr. O'Neill." Tess came to stand in my proximity, her flute of champagne held up by the stem as she inspected the painting I had paused in front of.

It took all of my willpower to not look at her, instead I kept my eyes trained on the art before me. "I'm not supposed to be seen with you."

A small huff left her, hidden with a sip of her bubbly beverage. "Afraid they'll write more rubbish about us?"

Coming to look me up by herself, while we both knew that being seen together was not in our best interests. Tess was bold tonight, but I detected a bitterness to her tone.

Was she experiencing the same need as I was? The magnetism when we were in proximity, orbiting towards each other as a positive and negative charge? Colliding together as if it were our nature, a basic instinct?