Chapter 1

I woke up around five in the morning, and got showered, dressed and ready for the morning chores. I brushed my long brown hair, putting it through a sloppy ponytail. I went and brushed my teeth, looking at myself in the mirror. I have had a few people tell me how handsome I looked. Even with my slender frame. My smooth pale skin always stood out with everyone else. I didn't see what they saw. They saw a slender, well-muscled young man, agile and fast, a good-looking guy. I just saw a pale and sickly boy.

I took care of the laundry, took out the trash and made my way upstairs, starting to get breakfast ready for the others. I didn't like being the male version of Cinderella, but what could I do? I made breakfast, fried the bacon, scrambled the eggs, and brewed the pot of coffee. I set the table. By the time John and Tom sat down at the table, I had just brought out the steaming platters of food in front of them. John sneered at the food. I knew he wasn't impressed. Tom at least looked thankful but knew not to say anything.

We lived in one of the largest houses in the town. John's family bought it in the early nineteenth century. The three-story house with a large tower in the back center of the structure was renovated and updated over the years. The house has twelve bedrooms, three bathrooms and a large basement and attic. The large yard was surrounded by a privacy fence. John was from old money. His family created jobs for the city and did charity work, even though John had been selfish and stingy. He used his money to improve his life and Tom's.

Two years ago, I found out that his family founded Mt. Delusa, even though it rarely gets mentioned outside of here. The city still does a lot of trade throughout the country. Precious ore, coal and minerals were sold from our mines, and We are the only place in the country that sells a unique herb. It can be used for seasoning foods, cleansing homes, bringing aromas that smell exotic and sweet. With the right preparations it can be used as a toxin for pests like spiders, flies, rodents, and other bugs.

Sales have been skyrocketing around the nation, so whatever people are using this herb for, must be meeting expectations. "Matt, make sure you get all the chores done before nine tonight, and then get your homework done," John said to me. I nodded. "Of course, sir." I said softly. Tom gave me a warning look. I didn't understand why. Have I done something that I didn't remember or realize? I wondered. Tom's look continued to pierce into me. His eyes pleading and warning. "So, I got off the phone with your Phys. Ed and history teacher. They told me your grades aren't bad, but could be better," John said.

I blinked. "I'm sorry. I thought my grades were a high "B" right now and with the test coming up, would be able to put it up into the "A" range," I told him. He nodded, deep in thought. "I guess there's some logic behind that reasoning. Now, answer this for me. What made it slip in the first place?" he inquired. "I honestly am not sure. I studied like crazy. I guess I mixed up a couple dates and it brought it down. I am working extra hard to correct that," I promised him. I waited for them to finish eating and then started to clean up and do the dishes. I put away the food.

Fortunately for them, they don't eat leftovers and it would give me something to eat after school. I never had much time before school to have breakfast and I wasn't on the lunch program. I had to sneak food on weekends and during holidays. John gets me some cheap pop tarts and granola bars with cheap breads, packages of lunch meats and butter. I finished drying the plates and cups and put them away. I cleaned the pans and hung them up to dry when Tom and John left the house. At least, I thought John left.

"By the way. I have to give you a warning about your grades," he said walking up behind me. He grabbed my right arm and twisted it behind my back and slammed his palm into my left shoulder and I heard bone crack and pop. I gritted my teeth and forced myself from shouting out. He slammed me down onto the counter, pulling my arm tighter, twisting harder. Then he pushed me into the counter, letting me go. "Now, you know that you have to get the grades up. I want to see some real effort with this test," he warned.