Chapter 2

I nodded and he walked away dialing a number into his phone. I wondered if he was calling his mother, or if he was going to call some of his friends. I waited for a while in the locker room. I decided to take a shower while the others were still running. Most of us kept some clean clothes in our lockers. I quickly cleaned up and wrapped a towel around my waist. I went back to my locker to get dressed and as I opened the locker up, the door burst open. I jumped and saw Zal enter, hanging up his phone. He paused and glanced at me curiously. "Oh, sorry. I didn't know you were..." he didn't finish the sentence.

"I just thought to take a quick shower before everyone came back. I didn't know you would be done with the phone call so soon," I said to him. He nodded. "Right, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to barge in," he said, turning around. "No, that's not what I meant," I told him. "What did you mean?" he asked me. "I just mean that...Crap, I guess I'm not used to being this vulnerable or exposed. I'm used to being shielded and hidden. I guess I'm embarrassed," I admitted. "Hey, hurry up and get dressed. I'll keep people from entering if you want," he offered.

"Thank you," I said. I waited for him to walk towards the door, and I dropped the towel, grabbed a pair of boxers, and pulled them up quickly and then got dressed. I put my gym clothes in a bag. I went to the door. Zal was leaning against the wall by the door. "No one tried to come in yet. They must be still outside," he informed me. I let out a deep breath I didn't know I was holding. He studied me for a second and then went to get changed himself. I wasn't even paying attention to him, and I felt guilty again. "I'm sorry," I said.

"About what?" he asked. "You weren't changed, and we made this all about me,' I said. He waved me off. "Don't worry about that. I honestly don't care if people see me naked," he said with a wink. I laughed awkwardly. I went with him and waited for him to get changed. I didn't know how he wasn't sweaty, but when I moved by him, smelled like cinnamon and lemon. I don't know how he pulled that off. It worked for him. He dressed and turned towards me, leaning against the lockers. "What class do you have next?" he asked after a minute of silence. I mentally scolded myself.

He probably knew I was staring at him and was probably thinking I was a freak. "Matt?" He asked. "Right, sorry. I have to go to the library for Study Hall," I said. He nodded, lost in thought. "Would you mind if I accompanied you? I have a free period and I don't have anything else planned," he said. "You don't have anything to do?" I asked, doubting that. He grinned. "Not really. Mom won't be home until late, and all my homework is done. I mean sometime this week I have to go to the local campus for a tour, but that won't be until Friday," he said to me. "That's in two days," I said. "Yeah, I won't be in class the first half of school on Friday," he said.

"That makes sense. I figured you would be already out of high school by now. Already graduated," I replied. "Why? Do I look old or something?" he asked, mockingly appalled. I laughed. "No, nothing like that. You just have a wiser and older air about you. Plus, I know you're a senior, but just the way you carry yourself. You would already be in a dorm, partying with your friends, going to restaurants with a girlfriend," I commented. He gave me a cocky grin. "You think I have or would have a girlfriend?" I shrugged in annoyance. "I just figured you'd have a lot of pretty girls in school fawning over you," I said softly.

"Well, to be fair, I do. That doesn't mean I'm interested in girls like them," he explained. "Why not? I figured most guys would be all over them," I said. He just rolled his eyes. "You must think I'm sleezy or something," he said with a dark tone. "No, no I don't mean that at all! I just...God I'm not good at explaining things. I guess the best way to say this is that I just can't see you having to settle with anyone. You could choose whoever you want," I said. He gave me a soft laugh. I didn't know what he thought was so funny. "You just said it yourself," he reminded me. I didn't know what he was referring to. "You just said I wouldn't have to suffer, and I could choose anyone I wanted," he reminded me.