Chapter 3

I opened the bag and saw a large container with an omelet with shredded cheese, corn, shredded pork, and diced bacon bits. Cinnamon and buttered toast, hashbrowns, scrambled eggs with garlic and pepper seasoning and onion flakes. Three double stacked pancakes, one with chocolate chips, one with strawberry chunks and one with banana bits. A large lid cup with fudge, caramel, maple syrup, butter, and peanut butter. Five applewood smoked sausage links were in a small container. "Are you trying to fatten me for slaughter?" I asked. Zal burst out laughing. "Of course not," he said, still grinning. Then I noticed two large twist top plastic bottles. One with orange juice with no pulp, and one with apple juice.

"I don't need this much food," I told him. He turned around in his seat to look at me. "Matt, you look like you've been mostly starved most of your life like Harry Potter," he commented. I nodded because I couldn't argue with the comparison. "Yeah, but I don't have that large of an appetite. I'll eat what I can. Most of the time, I only eat what the others don't finish. It usually isn't much, but it's kept me going," I admitted. "Yeah, well that's not going to be a thing anymore. If I got to make sure you get at least two filling meals a day, I'll do it," he offered. "You don't need to do this. Being my friend is enough. Tom already is aware, and he's not pissed. Please, don't go crazy on trying to 'save' me or do more for me than you would anyone else," I told him.

"What makes you think I'm doing more for you than anyone else?" he asked me. "Come on, no one can afford to spend hundreds of dollars on meals for a large group of people," I countered. "No, that's true. That doesn't mean we don't choose a few people and offer them assistance. Help them get on their feet. Provide them with assurance, security, to help better their life," he told me. I shook my head. Something else was going on here. "Zal, you barely know me. You've known me for one day. What is your reasoning?" I asked. He turned his head away from me. "This may seem like I'm insane and need therapy. I might. I won't lie." He began.

I waited for him to continue. "The thing is, I don't know why. But the second I met you. I felt this pull towards you. Something about you compels me to you. I can't explain it. I feel this alluring aura around you. I know it sounds mental and a little creepy," he admitted. I couldn't argue, but I also felt a little flattered by the news. Someone was actually interested in my well-being, safety, and protection. Someone cared for me without wanting something in return. At least at present. That made me feel more hopeful than I've been in a while. I also feared what would happen if I got my hopes up for too long or too high. Usually everyone leaves or forsakes me.

"Matt, will you tell me how you feel about what I just told you," Zal pleaded. "Well, yes. It's a bit creepy in that context, but at the same time. I see a different point of view from what you're telling me. You have some sort of emotional connection to me. Not easily explained," I said and then I thought about it. "You imprinted, didn't you?" I asked. He gave me a pained look. "I'm sorry," he whispered. I laughed. "I wouldn't be sorry about that. But I don't get that. "How do you imprint?" I wondered. "That's part of the history of this town that is what I was saying being complicated," Zal mentioned.

"Right," was all I said, and I decided to grab the thick plastic knife and fork out of the bag and placed the container on my lap. I tentatively opened the container and removed the plastic wrapper off the utensils. I began cutting bites of the food and slowly eating the food. "Matt, you don't have to be scared to eat and make a mess," Zal replied. "I don't want to dirty up your car and spill anything," I told him. He gave me a stinky eye. "Oh, no. You spill some food and I have to toss the whole car away instead of cleaning it out," he said sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes and began to eat faster than before. Secretly I hoped to make a mess and then felt guilty about the thought. I evenly spread out the different toppings to the pancakes and wondered why there wasn't any ketchup for the hashbrowns. Zal handed me a large Heinz ketchup packet. "They gave me two," he explained. I grinned. I graciously took it and ripped it open, squeezing it over the hashbrowns. I ate and enjoyed the meal. I couldn't deny that this meal was one of the best I have ever had in a very long time.