Chapter 5

We drove in silence for another hour, before hitting the mountain path. Then we drove up the paved road, up the road. The thick canopy of trees blocked out the sunlight, casting an eerie shadow over the road. We slowed down, Zal switched on the brights, and we made our way around the road. We continued to climb up the mountain. Finally reaching a leveled point and drove another twenty minutes before approaching a large stone fence. A thick iron gate blocked us from entering. Two heavily armored figures approached. They took a spot on each side of the car. Zal rolled down the windows. A slender woman with short red hair leaned in on my side. "What were you thinking, bringing a human here?" she snapped.

Zal barely glanced at her. Instead, he focused on the man by him. "Drake, my mother was informed of me coming home with a friend. Surely you would have gotten the word. Why am I being blocked. You all know my car," Zal said, edge to his tone. "Of course, your highness. It's protocol," he told him. "Protocol," Zal echoed. I didn't think he was sounding too thrilled. "Ah, yes. I'm sorry. Your mother and the council asked us to tighten security measures up. Hunters have been spotted in the area. I'm sure you can imagine the cause for alarm," the man, Drake told him. "So, hence why we are not thrilled with the human being here," the woman snarled.

Zal looked over at her and his face became deathly pale. Eyes turned black as coal and hollow. He looked like a walking corpse. Even his voice became a bone, death rattling growl. "You think I would bring someone to our home, if they were a threat to us?" Zal demanded. "Not on purpose," the woman said, becoming pale in fear. "Open the fucking gates," he roared. The two guards jumped back. "I'm sorry, we have to clear this," Drake told him. The woman regained her composure. She began pressing the button on her walkie.

"Inform the queen that prince Zal is here with a mortal guest," the woman said, sounding hostile and bitter. I couldn't hear the words that were being spoken, but something must have been said because both guards became worried and fearful. "Right away," Drake responded. They must have been on the same frequency. "The queen is on her way, please proceed to the parking lot right through the gate," Drake told him. Zal glowered at him in rage. I rested a hand on his arm. He spun around to glare at me. I wanted to shrink away from him and hide in the back seat of the car. Instead, I remained collected and calm. Instantly, he calmed down and returned to normal.

"Sorry," he whispered. I didn't say anything. I did notice an exchanged look between the two guards. Not disgust, but surprise. How often did Zal lose his cool? I wondered. The gate rose up, and we pulled in, parking under the third spot with a roof over the spot, blocking the wind by a stone wall on two sides. We waited in silence for a minute. Then Zal told me to get out of the car. He remained calm, but I could still a sense of tenseness in his voice. I got out and walked over to his side. He had his arm crossed. I gently placed a hand on his elbow, and he looked over at me, giving me a warm smile.

We didn't have to wait long. Zal's mother along with three guards approached us. "Zal, welcome home. I'm sorry for the greeting at the gate. Something happened after our phone call. We had to react and didn't have a chance to really inform them that you were not to be contained. I should have said something sooner or gave you a warning. I do apologize. Matt, to you I apologize as well. You shouldn't have been met with hostility such as that. You are a guest here. We don't normally treat guests with hostility and doubt," she told me. I nodded meekly. "Of course, ma'am," I said softly. "We should be going now," one of the guards stated. "Of course," she agreed. Zal, Matt. Please, this way," she held out her hand for us to proceed.

I don't know why, but my heart began to pound, and my nerves were set on fire. I felt eyes all around me. Zal pressed in next to me, holding my hand firmly. He gave my hand a gentle squeeze. I followed close by his side. "It's going to be okay," he assured me. We walked along the smooth stone sidewalk and off the main road where cars, trucks, and vans were coming and going. They looked military in design. The three guards stood on either side, and in front of Charlen, while Zal and I trailed behind. "How come you don't have guards around you?" I asked him. "Oh, I have two guards. They are close. I assure you," he told me. "I don't know your desire to have two of your closest friends as your guards, but they seem to be loyal and capable," his mother commented.