Rejection

Credit to artist!! I couldn't find them tho

Suguru missed Satoru dearly. He didn't think his reaction to Satoru's confession would cause such a rift in their friendship. Every text and call was sent to voicemail. He gave him his space out of respect, but when days turned into weeks, he grew more and more frustrated. More so at himself.

*Flashback*

"Suguru..." Satoru spoke softly as the two sat together on a bench sharing sweets. "Hm?" Suguru looked over and saw Satoru fumbling with a drink he had in his hands, his face laced with nervousness. "I um...I think I love you.." Suguru's eyes shot open as his heart skipped a beat. He thought for sure he didn't hear Satoru correctly. "Huh?..." Is all he could manage to speak. Satoru never met Suguru's gaze. He sat his drink down and excused himself.

It's been 6 months since then. Every time Suguru tried to talk to him, Satoru was out on a mission or training off campus. Now Suguru found himself in front of Satoru's dorm room. After a long moment of hesitation and silent pep talks to himself, he finally managed to knock on the door. As the door opened, Suguru was faced with a fragile looking Satoru. He had sunken in eyes that were colored with dark circles from lack of sleep. His body looked smaller than usual as well.

Satoru looks back, slightly surprised to see Suguru. The silence is painful for the two, lasting for what seemed like centuries. Satoru began to close the door until Suguru stopped it with his arm. "Satoru, wait. Please, let's just talk. Alright?"

Satoru sighs and opens the door fully again, motioning for Suguru to come in. His dorm was trashed, more than it usually was. Clothes and trash littered the floor, the comforter wasn't even on his bed. After closing the door behind Suguru, Satoru finally spoke. "I've been busy, Suguru..." Suguru turned towards Satoru, surprised to hear a faint bitterness in the others voice. He felt a rush of emotions, sadness, anger, guilt. He took a breath and spoke gently, trying to keep his voice calm. "Too busy to call or message back?" So much for trying to sound calm.

"I haven't replaced my phone yet. It got shattered while out on a mission." Satoru spoke, running a hand through his hair. He was tired. Seeing Satoru so weak made Suguru's heart ache. "Why haven't you reached out?" His voice came out softer, almost shakily. Satoru walked towards his bed and sat down, letting out an exhausted sigh. "I've been on mission after mission. And when it's not that, it's training or sitting through Principle Yaga's lectures." Suguru stood in front of him, staying silent as he watched the white haired boy speak.

"Are you- Are you okay?" He can't hide the worry that's drowning him. Even after being apart for so long, seeing Satoru like this kicked Suguru's protective instincts over him. Satoru looked down at his hands for a moment before looking at Suguru with a forced smile. "I'm fine Suguru. Did you already forget that I'm the strongest?" Suguru's brows furrow, his worry increasing as he scans Satoru's body once more, taking in the weight loss. "You don't look fine, 'toru. You've lost weight"

Satoru nods slightly as he laughed nervously. "I haven't focused on eating much." Suguru moved closer and gently reached out towards Satoru, gently cupping his face in his hands. "You need to take care of yourself. Just because you're the strongest doesn't mean you're invincible." Satoru flinches slightly at his touch, hesitating to meet Suguru's gaze now. The feelings he had been trying to push away rush back and hit him like a train. "I'm fine. Really Suguru." Suguru's hand become more firm as he spoke bluntly. "I don't believe you."

Those words sat in the air for a moment before Suguru sighed and removed his hands. "Your eyes look like a raccoon." Satoru looked down, gently touching the burning feeling of Suguru's touch on his cheek. "Like I said...Busy.." Satoru says softly, his heart racing against his chest.

Suguru leaned against the closet behind him, crossing his arms over his chest. "Why have you been going on so many missions alone?" Satoru blinked a few times as he returned to reality. He leaned back on the bed and tilted his head to look at the ceiling. "I asked to be alone. Needed some time to think."

"Think about what?" Suguru blurted before he could even stop himself. Satoru chuckled softly and finally looked at Suguru. "I didn't want to lose you as a friend, but I knew I couldn't if I still had these feelings." Suguru's eyes widened as he looked into Satoru's tired eyes. "So you were ignoring me." Hearing it said aloud made Satoru feel a tinge of guilt in his chest. He sat back up and nodded.

The tension in the air was heavy. The silence rang through both of their ears. "I can't believe I have to ask this, but did you even stop to think about what I would think of this?" Suguru spoke harshly, his jaw clenched as he waited for Satoru's answer. "I didn't know what else to do Suguru. The thought of being near you terrified me. I had to make sure I wouldn't do anything stupid." Suguru felt his frustration melt away as he heard the sadness in Satoru's voice. He walked closer to Satoru again, kneeling down in front of him. Satoru covered his face with his hands, feeling the lump that's been sitting in his throat grow. "Move your hands Satoru..." Suguru's voice was now the sweet sound Satoru grew to love. He hesitated before finally moving his hands away and looking at Suguru. His eyes met with Suguru's, a small smile appearing on Suguru's lips. "You know..I never gave you my answer." Satoru's eyes widened at the realization that he never gave the other a chance to answer. Suguru could swear he could hear Suguru cursing himself in his head. He chuckled softly and grabbed Satoru's hands, holding them in his own. He caressed the top of his hands as he spoke. "I didn't respond because I couldn't believe it. I thought I may have heard wrong, but when it clicked, you were already gone. I didn't want to intrude because I thought you needed space but I didn't know it was going to be as long as it was." Satoru looked down at Suguru, his heart racing faster every second. His pale cheeks were covered by a soft red blush.

"I missed your silly antics. The little pout you do when something doesn't go your way. The gleam in your eyes when you eat your sweets. I missed you Satoru. I couldn't wait any longer to give you my answer." Satoru was speechless, his mouth slightly agape from Suguru's sweet words. This made Suguru chuckle again as he continued. "I love you Satoru, and I'm sorry I didn't say it sooner."

The lump in Satoru's throat finally broke, except it wasn't from guilt or sadness. No, it was from the love he had for man that was kneeling in front of him. Tears began to flood Satoru's blue orbs, a wide smile spreading across his face. Suguru moved his hand to the others' cheek, wiping the tear that was threatening to leave his eye. Satoru leaned forward, whispering softly against Suguru's lips before capturing them in a passionate kiss.

"I love you too, Suguru."

________________________________________________

AN: I got this idea while listening to sad music and scrolling through Pinterest:) I was gonna make it more angst but decided these sweethearts needed more happy endings. See you next time!! - Salty