Chapter 20 Part 2

Jaob looked at the temporary camp set up by the Magi. They had found, with joy, two thirds of New Hope's residents after riding through half the night.He had a difficult time feeling positive about it, though. One of the groups, the second to evacuate, if he believed Hamor, still had not caught up. No one knew what happened to them.Worse, Bane was not there. Nor had any of the Magi seen him before evacuating. Plus, his head pounded like it was being bludgeoned from the inside. Burying the king's men in the dunes and erasing the Magi's trail sapped most of his energy.The evacuees would need to change direction this day, too, he reminded himself. In case the enemy escaped the dust and continued straight in their quest. But changing directions would cause several problems, the first being prolonging their journey when supplies were already taxed. Water, in particular, was short. The second was that the missing group, or even Bane, would have a difficult time finding them if they were not where they had planned to be. The steppes of Sheathra were vast, wandering aimlessly was not wise.

"Jaob," a familiar voice called. He turned to find Kierra approaching, leading the unhappy looking girl they had rescued so long ago.

But it wasn't so long, he reminded himself. It had only been a few weeks. Still, there should have been improvement, even with the upheaval the Magi faced. At least she received food and water, a better state than she had been in with her clan. He stopped himself from cringing at her sickly demeanor. Her dark hair was unwashed and hung limp beside her face, instead of braided back in the tradition of most Sheathra women. Large blue-green circles clung beneath her eyes, so she looked rather like a walking corpse. He turned his eyes from the unsightly creature and, instead, focused on Kierra. He used the last of her healing tea for the magic overuse he endured for that child's rescue, but he couldn't help but hope she brought something useful for his pounding head.

"We have a problem," she stated, letting the girl's arm go and stepping toward him.

 Jaob half expected the child to collapse without Kierra's support, but she just stood passively.He deflated slightly. He was hoping she brought some alleviation, not more problems.

Kierra approached until she was near enough to touch. "I have reason to believe we brought the traitor with us," she murmured in a soft voice, looking back at the child through the side of her eye.

"Her?" Surprise entered his voice. How could the weakest being he had ever seen have caused all the trouble he faced?

"Yes. I should have listened to Aya when she used her power in the wasteland and saw the past. I have been watching Brissa firmly since we caught up and I've caught her using magic twice already and sneaking away once."

The realization that this child had been the traitor was overtaken by another.

 "Wait, Aya can see the past?"Kierra shrugged. "It seems that way. She had a vision that Brissa caused the trouble right before the scorpion attack."

So, Aya's power proved valuable after all. That must be why the king sought her so determinedly. He hated all Magi, but Jaob didn't think even Theron could resist such an advantage.

"She can also take memories."

"What?" Jaob exclaimed, loudly enough that several Magi working to pack up turned their heads his direction.

 Taking memories? He had never heard of such a talent...if you could call it that. That was a terrible power, and frightening. He imagined what she could do, should she choose, and shuddered inwardly. But she hadn't. The entire time she had been in New Hope she hadn't used her talent to take control.

"Whose memory did she take?"

"Melak's, but I think it was an accident, she was pretty upset about it."